Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Let Them Eat Caviar


Dear Alisha,
I wanted to serve caviar at a buffet I was having, but my husband thought it would seem like I was showing off. What do you think about that? I do have a beautiful silver caviar dish that can be iced. I am anxious to have your opinion.

Love,
A Puzzled Grandmother with a birthday on April 7th

Dear Grandmother,

You can not imagine how often I am asked this question! My answer stays the same: Serve the caviar. Why would you deny your guests the opportunity to sample your best, to try something new, to elevate themselves? What a waste it would be, not to use your silver caviar dish. What a shame if there were no guests to benefit from it's beauty.

I have a little inside information on this question, readers, and I will let you know that this "buffet" was for a Family Home Evening group. If by "buffet" you are thinking 'build your own tacos', you are way off. Think crudite and shrimp platter, roasted meat, homemade rolls, delicate layered pear cake, etc. "It's because we were born on April 7th."


Happy Birthday Grandma!!

My Mom, Aunt Joyce, My Puzzled Grandmother, and Grandpa. They always wear masks to dinner.


For your inspiration, from Beautifulhomedecoration,

A silver caviar dish (from Wax Antiques)

5 comments:

Your favorite Aunt said...

Alisha, I didn't realize you and Grandma Ethington shared the same birthday? How fun! No wonder you two are so alike! Well you know with your Grandma Ethington every thing is always perfectly decadent and beautiful. What is the point of having elegant table wear if it just sits in a cabinet? I hope you both enjoyed your birthdays!!

Caviar Merchant said...

You can get high quality American Caviar from Caviar Merchant Company, www.caviarcaviar.com for a good price. You can even call and see if you can get a good deal for more volume.

Janalee said...

I love caviar!! I mix it with mayo and put it on my sandwiches. so good!

oh wait. that's tuna.

I'm so funny!

Rebecca Larsen said...

Well, the tuna USED to be caviar...

Very funny, Jana.

I guess it depends on the crowd to be served. Some people I can see being SO uncomfortable with it, unwilling to try it while others would feel so pampered, loved, and happy at the sheer thought.

Anonymous said...

I serve caviar on very special occasions, my guests seem to know the ritual by now - on any special occasion expect the best - on any other night they usually end up making their own gourmet pizza with a glass of fruit flavored bubbly. I say serve the caviar "LET THEM EAT"