Monday, October 4, 2010

Lazy and Cheap

(Not my home. From House Beautiful.)

Dear Alisha,

I've seen beautiful pictures of your home and am very jealous. I want to decorate my own house but find it hard to motivate myself (especially thinking about all the prep work and the amount of money it'd cost us...) Can you share some tips about how to decorate a house in a cost-effective and not-so-time-consuming way?
You can also tell me flat out that I'm just dreaming. I know what I'm asking might not be possible...

Sincerely,
Lazy and Cheap



Dear Lazy and Cheap,

You have to pick one or the other. You can be as lazy as you like and still have a good looking home. All you need to do is hire a full service interior designer, tell her you don't want to be very involved, and hand over a large sum of money. I'm guessing this isn't an option, which leaves choice #2- decorating yourself, being smart, clever and resourceful. I am wondering if your lack of motivation comes from not knowing what you want. I think when you visualize how good your house can look, it inspires you to get busy. What else do you have to do that's more important? You are creating an atmosphere for memories and family experiences. It's worth putting some effort into.

I will try to focus my comments on decorating relatively inexpensively and avoiding time consuming projects. It is important that you begin with an idea of what you want. This takes some time looking through magazines and picking out rooms you'd like to emulate. If the room of your dreams if from the pottery barn catalogue, fine, use that. Start identifying what elements make up the room and make a list of them. Then try and translate that to you space.
For example, if this was my "inspiration room":

the key elements would be:
-obviously the mural, (you're a little quirky, aren't you?) If you don't paint murals often, do not attempt this. They go wrong so easy. Look instead for a large painting or print of something organic with movement. I would start at someplace like Z Gallerie where they sell read to buy large prints inexpensively.
-neutral sofa, make sure the arms aren't too big.
-red panel drapes, you can buy them ready made at places like Target or Bed & Bath at the 96" length you will need.
-a mix of interesting side chairs. These should be easy to pick up off craigslist or thrift stores.
-a square or glass coffee table, something angular to counteract the tree art.
-a few red accessories
-a pair of side tables would be nice.

That wasn't so bad was it? It takes a lot to make up a room. You can't just buy a sofa and be done. Keep at it and before you know you'll have a beautiful space.


A few general time/money saving tips:

Buy a neutral colored sofa
Do not buy furniture that needs to be refinished or painted
Paint your walls a color you love
Do not choose fancy wall painting techniques like faux finishes or stripes
Pick large artwork-more bang for your buck and you don't have to spend a lot of time figuring out picture groupings.
Use bright colored accessories that attract the eye away from what you haven't done, like replacing light fixtures or painting over outdated wood molding.
Pick larger statement pieces rather than lots of little things.
If you love something you already own, by all means use it. You can always find a spot for it.

Should we do one more room? Why not.


If this is a room you selected (go along with me), I'd say you picked it out for the dreamy, soothing feeling of it. It is achieved through using an analogous color palette. All color that goes into the room should be in the robin's egg blue/light-medium blue/periwinkle range. Also, this room has a lot of symmetry. With that in mind:

-sofa in one of the blue tones OR neutral. You can still use a neutral and just use accessories in your colors of choice.
-matching side chairs in color range. This will cost you.
-paint walls chalky but still saturated blue, preferably after you have selected your upholstery.
-pair of lamps
-again, matching side tables would be a nice touch
-square mirrored coffee table. If you find a different coffee table you would like to use, no problem. At least one surface in the room should be reflective.
-a foot bench or side seat with X legs would be a bonus.
-large art work, something simple in your color scheme.
-if you're really rich or lucky, a simply patterned rug in the right color.

Even though the room is keeping a tight color palette, notice all the neutral woodwork.


Having a beautiful, welcoming home is such a joy. I don't think you will regret the time or money you put into it.

6 comments:

Bekah: said...

I've recently had a very unfourtunate personal experience with someone who "claimed" they wanted a well decorated, functional, stylish home. For years I've heard her talk about it, complain about it, ask about it. I was so excited to help her do it! I spent hours talking with her, sending pictures back and forth through e-mail making sure I had a very solid idea of what she wanted. Then the fun began, I starting looking at craiglist daily and went to about 100 local stores and spent hours shopping online. I found so many great pieces that fit what she wanted perfectly. We tried 14 gray paint samples until we found the perfect shade. We made a few purchases and some big decesions and I thought we were on the right track. Little did I know she couldn't do it. For some reason she would rather stay in her comfort zone than take the plunge. We had probably already done 60% of the work and now it was just implementing it all. I wish I could have pushed her harder but I had already helped as much as I could. It was a hard lesson for me. So my advice to "lazy and cheap" is to make sure you really want to take the plunge and do what is necessary to have a lovely home. If your desire for a decorated home is because its what you think is expected of you but authentically you do not care, than I submit leave it how it is. If you REALLY desire a decorated home enlist the help of a friend whose decorating style you like and jump in. I've realized for some people it literally is a scary free fall to make these big decesions and to really do it.

Alisha said...

Ouch Bekah! You bring make a good point.

That story is just awful. I am frustrated just hearing about it.

Your favorite Aunt! said...

Here's my challenge's. First twin toddlers! Second, it takes alot of searching in stores to find the decor items I have in mind, and I can't take them with me, which leaves me with very little time to do any shopping for anything. Third, of course money, every time I see something close to what I want it's alot more money that I can spend. Fourth, time! I know if it's a priority to me I should be able to make the time right? Nice theory! Most of my time is taken up doing things that are not on my prefrence list, like driving my daughter to dance, piano, achievment day activities, and nagging her to get her homework done faster! Also chasing my twin toddlers, atempting to get them to clean up their messes and breaking up their fights!! Then there is the usual cooking, cleaning, laundry and sewing projects that have been sitting to long and not getting done!! When my Sister-in-law remodeled and decorated her entire house I was a bit jealous! She reminded me that she couldn't have it quite that way when her children were young and I will get my chance! So I've been trying to do the best I can a little at a time and be patient! Any other suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Crystal Pistol said...

Great post. Very insightful. Beautiful pics were inspiring. I'm looking for "the perfect fabric" to do custom drapes in the home I just moved into. Decorating is so much fun!

lisa said...

Ahh! Bekah that's so frustrating, all that work, and then never to see the pay-off!

Great post Alisha. I totally agree that you can either be lazy OR cheap, but not really both and still get what you want. It's kind of like building a wardrobe-- you can walk into a store and just buy whatever outfit is on the mannequin and you'll quickly have an 'in' look, but it'll be more pricy than piecing things together you find over time at many different stores.

I'm not an expert at either homes or wardrobes, but I'd say if you're trying to go the less-expensive route, then give yourself a lot of time to look at magazines and stores, notice the trends and the classics, and wait until you find just the right pieces so that you know you love it for a long time. (I've been working on my fam room for about 7 months now, and I think I'm getting close... I'm glad I didn't do it all too fast, but I'm also eager to get it done!)

iknowjewels said...

This post couldn't be at a better time. I will admit that when it comes to Lazy or cheap, I have a tendancy to just pay more to have the look done.
Z gallery has been a great inspiration for me though, and not always as expensive (say horchow?).

This post couldnt come at a better time Alisha! I am trying to knock out the rest of this house one room at a time...