Thursday, April 19, 2012

Babies Who Lunch

Violet recently turned 1 year.  While I am still coping with this fact, she decided it was time to host her first luncheon.
A Violet lunch.
First let me thrill you with the table.  Violets, lots and lots of violets. (Feel free to count how many times you read the word "violet" in this post.)


The place setting. Notice the violet on the paper place card?  I made that.  Really I did. You'll hear all about it on a later day.


It's too bad you can't smell these photos because the scent was a romantic spring day.


Violet inspects the silver.

The Guests.  
Meet Lady K.

Starling played peek-a-boo.

Chance tried to start up a conversation..

..but Abbey would not yield to his advances.

Sawyer was the joker of the bunch.  "Hey ladies!  Anyone dare me to fling this spoon?...Yeah."

Violet stayed calm and hosted on.

The Food
Violet loves croissants and chicken salad, so that was a must.  The green salad of pears, cashews, Irish cheese and blackberries with a lemon vinaigrette was not her idea.  She would have chosen a medley of bark chips, lego heads, stale bread, and refrigerator dust bunnies with a dressing of stagnant rain water.

Cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches. {Don't you love the silver platter from my Grandma and the linen tablecloth from my Mother?}

For dessert the babies enjoyed a slightly sweet vanilla custard and shortbread violet cookies.


The coconut cream on shortbread was the adult version.

The after party. Warning: these next photos are ridiculous.

When you are a baby, it is considered a compliment to take off your shoes and pants after a good meal.
Feeling mischievous, Violet and Sawyer broke into a basket of wigs. No one was safe.

Starling kind of liked it. "You know, I think I'm having more fun."

Abbey found it undignified.  
(Doesn't she kind of look like a cranky older lady who sits on her porch, in a recliner, and scolds children? Get on now!)


Eventually she was won over. And a new little Asian friend dropped in!
A veritable United Nations!



Dough!

Like I said, no one was safe.  A taste of his own medicine.


Hair pieces are nothing out of the ordinary for Violet.  She had a lovely day.

A birthday party for baby's first birthday?  Ridiculous!  But lunch amongst friends, why what could be sweeter?



9 comments:

Amy John said...

Hi I'm janas cousin... And I must tell you how much I enjoyed this post! I thought it was so cute and the imagery and the way you wrote it.,, well lets just say I peed my pants with laughter. Freaking hilarious. Thank you for making me smile today.

Janalee said...

What is this low- comment business?? An outrage is what.

Questions:

Did the babies do any damage? Ex: pulling off the vase on their plate. Did they eat off those plates? or did the mom's hold the babies on their laps and eat.

The food looks so good. I love that kind of stuff. All that work! and I bet you'll never tell us about the place cards.

I want that coconut cream shortbread!!! hint hint for July.

Chelsea said...

This was the funniest thing I've read all month. Ahaha, I was giggling forever. Obviously the best 1st birthday anyone has ever had. Starling was my favorite guest.

Alisha said...

Thanks for the nice comments! I'm flattered. (And humble!!)

Jana, no the babies didn't do any damage. That's because the mothers were there to quickly remove vases and what have you once the grabbed them. The younger babies just sat there.
I should say "no, the babies ate right at the table, using the correct silverware, and handled the glasses with ease", but truthfully they mostly sat on their mother's laps.

Camille said...

So very cute! I love the table. Love the pictures. Love the post! Everything looks fabulous!

Angie K. said...

What a beautiful luncheon, Violet. You have all of your mother's charms. You and your friends are very adorable. What an enchanting party, I especially loved your centerpieces, so clever. Happiest birthday wishes to you.

Melissa Myers said...

I loved every single thing.

Melissa Myers said...

I loved every single thing.

Marianne said...

Alisha,
You are hilarious. And you make all the rest of us look boring and unrefined. :) xoxo