Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day! May Day!


Today, May 1st, is May Day.  And you know what that means- protests and worker's rights?!  No, (though I do have that in me), flowers on doorsteps.  Of course.


Don't you love these vintage May Day cards?  

Suckers!  I printed them from here, onto cream paper. 


 I like the sentiment of May Day flowers coming from your own yard. As you can see, we have lilacs, which I love, but I am allergic to their intoxicating smell.



Another easy option is to make baskets out of lunch sacks.  



I filled them with lemon bars and daffodils, but next year I think next year I will fill them with garden section blooming plants, still in the containers.


Hmm, I should have cropped this photo.  Still, Violet is on board.  She carried her flower the whole time. She's the only one I bother dressing anymore.

Completely effortless.  No one fought over who was going to pull the wagon and who was going to carry the cards or who rang the doorbell last or who gets to sit in the wagon.  And it barely rained.



What did you do for May Day?  Does anyone else remember this mini-holiday?

8 comments:

Angie K. said...

I love that you love may day. I remember may-day from my childhood. My mom would take me up to my grandma's house to cut lilacs off her bushes and then we would take them to her teacher-friends at the school. But since about the third grade I have done nothing for may day. I need to start. This post was darling, oh how I would love to be one of your neighbors.

Angie K. said...

I love that you love may day. I remember may-day from my childhood. My mom would take me up to my grandma's house to cut lilacs off her bushes and then we would take them to her teacher-friends at the school. But since about the third grade I have done nothing for may day. I need to start. This post was darling, oh how I would love to be one of your neighbors.

Alisha said...

Thanks Angie, and Angie. I love that you make your comments in the comment room!

Rachel D said...

I love that YOU remember May Day. Being your neighbor has its benefits - and I'm grateful.

I've been watching the kids at the Waldorf school practice their May pole dance / ribbon weaving over the past few days. It's so cheery and colorful - I love it.

Next year I hope May Days is a little more on the warm and sunny side.

Angie K. said...

What? Is there another way to make a comment other than the comment room? I must be out of the loop, Please advise.

Alisha said...

No, stick with the comment room. Most people comment on facebook about the link.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Alisha! You have such a wonderful way of brightening your corner of the world.

--Sally (whose door step was graced by one of your lovely May Day packages)

Susanna said...

May Day is a huge party in Finland (where I live) : carnevals, party, tickertrape, helium balloons, picknicks... It's one of my favourite days of the year! :) Your blog is awesome, keep it up and happy summer! :)

xoxo
Susanna
http://susanna-behindmyeyes.blogspot.com