Monday, September 30, 2013

The Craftiest Thing I Have Ever Done, Take 2, Fairy Houses

Where did this start? How did this start? I think I saw charming pictures on Pinterest of planters with fairy houses, like below, and decided that was just what my children needed for an Imaginative, Enchanting Childhood. Just think of the hours they will spend carefully setting up and playing with the houses, anticipating tiny people living in them, dutifully tending to their gardens, spending happy hours outside!

Here is what I imagined creating, only even better!  I did NOT make these:


With spring fever, I dived into make fairy/leprechaun houses.  You start with bird houses then disassemble, paint, glue on rocks, branches, attach dried moss, dried flowers, visit craft stores no less than 10 times, and so on. I had Justin buy a special Dremel with a small jig saw attachment so as to remove roofs and make openings in the back, making easy access for play.  With each new hassle, I thought "this will be worth it in the end!" I sent the older boys on long walks, ordering them not to come home till they had filled two sacks of twigs (for door headers and structural reinforcement) and lots of pinecones (for roofing material). I bought loads of new plants with "does this look like a tiny tree or bush?" in mind. 

Working on the houses made an enormous mess, strewn out on my dining room table for days at a time. Moss and pinecones and paint everywhere. Justin was really starting to worry about me.
I hadn't finished with the houses, (I had at least 5 in the works), they were missing the finishing details, but I used a couple of them on a fairy themed lunch table. (see header and below)




Then one warm spring day, my heart softened and I thought 'why not let the kids play with them now?' also, I wanted them out of the way, so I took them outside.  That's when disaster struck.
At first there were moments like this.  They were playing and imagining! Sticking snails and slugs in the houses, but I'll take it. Soon I found the houses in shambles. Whitman's goal was to pick the houses apart.  If you look carefully, you can already see he's made some headway on the chimney. I spent no less than an hour carefully bricking that chimney! Jerks. 
After that, I took a good look at myself and gave up. I hate unfinished projects, I had come so close to the dream. Friends had been tolerating stories about my fairy house development for a while, ("Sorry, I'm busy tonight, laying the pinecone roof for my tall house.  Good news, the escape ladder is almost done!") But even I knew I had put far more time into this project then anyone would ever get out of it. So I slapped the houses into the unfinished planters, in their unfinished yards, unattended yards, and there they remained for the rest of summer.  They had a few snails pass through them, but that's about it. My kids won't have an Enchanting Childhood. The end.

My only successful planter, and it's Fairy House-less.

6 comments:

Janalee said...

I burst out laughing no less than 150x reading these two posts.

I'm imagining your boys (especially Trevor) blank-facedly obeying your orders to collect more brambles! Not caring or asking what you'll do with them, because mom's always up to something (that they're not interested in).

But could their tiny fingers even fit inside the house to properly play? That's my concern.

Rachel D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel D said...

Welcome back! You reinvented yourself as a craft blogger. Welcome to the family. :)

I don't know why you're so surprised joining the craft ranks. You've gotten comfortable with decorating, hosting, and giving advice. It was time to branch out. Plus now you have a little girl to make things for - and soon enough - with.

Give yourself a few more years - or maybe grandma-age - and you'll sew quilts or dresses or something equally special. Mark my words.

I love the fairy houses. I'm smart/selfish enough to keep Charlotte's high on a shelf, far out of reach of a toddler's hands. I love how you never do anything halfway (despite how you play it down in the post).

Angie K. said...

This too is craziness. Alisha.

I am so frustrated by the kids playing with these and ripping them apart. I would never make something this time consuming for CHILDREN! You crazy.

Maybe I don't want a daughter. Boys dont inspire me enough to do something this....crazy? I must already be an old dried up dead beat mom. Maybe I started that way.

Such a funny post. Jana's comments had their usual bravo hilariousness.

Judy Ethington said...

Making these darling crafty things can be rather fulfilling, and addicting! Though surprised, I was happy to see it in you to want to create in a different kind of venue than home decor and marvelous, beautiful dinners and lunches. It's good to explore!

Enchanted Gardens said...

Thanks for including my little Easter fairy house pic, glad to have stumbled across your fabulous blog! If you get the fairy house bug you might try terrarium sized that you can keep inside under a dome and away from tiny fingers. :)