Thursday, July 29, 2010

Scared to Light a Match


Dear Alisha,

I feel really bad even asking this question but... My husband and I only have one bathroom in our humble abode. Most bathroom tasks are no problem but after he's been in there for a while, it's really really bad. Repugnant is a good word for it. I've tried everything from sprays (they help a little), candles (these don't help at all), and I've even got potpourri on the back of the toilet (of course i make sure the fan is running)! But it normally makes the bathroom unbearable for the rest of the day! I've brought it up a few times and he always seems a little offended that I would even mention that.

What's a girl to do? Help! You've got plenty of boys at home so I am sure you'll have the perfect fix. What do you do to keep your bathrooms smelling fresh all day long?

Sincerely,

Scared to Light a Match



Dear Scared,

I thought about skipping your question. I do not want my blog to be known for discussing the lower things of life. But then last night I made black beans for dinner and followed it up by eating a hearty amount of sugar free chocolate, or as Justin called it, "the Perfect Storm". As I sat there, listening to the poor man's version of the William Tell Overture, I thought of you.
What would I do if this were our only bathroom? How would we face each other in the morning? So I have taken on your question and hopefully, together, we can find a solution.

One bathroom for all. That's rough. I've been trying think what I've previously done in a shared bathroom situation. The most obvious and common solution is to cover up the bad smell with a more pleasant smell, which you have already tried. Problem is, air fresheners conjure up the feeling of anything but freshness. "Garden Potpourri" becomes a flower garden that could only be growing at a waste treatment facility, and "apple blossom" is a bloom growing from a sulfur spring. This leads the problem of associated scents. Now when I smell "garden potpourri', even with out the accompanying foulness, my brain thinks it smells the stink too.

When I worked at a showroom, all the employees and customers shared the same bathroom. Our air freshener was a cinnamon spray. At first it wasn't too bad. It was a relief to not be over powered by cheap floral smells. Still, it smelt like something, something I couldn't put my finger on (literally). "A beef bakery!!", I proclaimed one day. Yes our bathroom smells exactly how you would expect a beef bakery to smell. I was glad I finally nailed the scent but my disgusted co-workers said I ruined the effectiveness of the spray for them.

Concerned about this very problem when we were first married and shared a bathroom, Justin came home excited one day. He had found a secret solution while "visiting" an office. In their restroom they used cedar oil spray as a fresher. He was practically giddy telling me how it smelt good and didn't mingle with foul smells in the wrong way but was still a strong enough scent. He had written down the label information off the bottle and ordered some for us. It was nice. It was just essential cedar oil, mixed with a little water, put in a spritz bottle.

Have you tried any of the odorless air fresheners? Like KO Odor Eliminator?

If it makes you feel better, my boys bathroom does not always smell good. Generally speaking, I keep our bathrooms good smelling just by keeping them clean and then running the fan when needed. Maybe you could use a better bathroom fan?

I am out of ideas. What else can you do to remove smelly air? Let's take it to our Readers.

Readers? Do you have any suggestions for dear Scared to Light a Match and her gass-ly
problem? Has anything worked for you?

(do not say Glade Air fresheners. I HATE Glade air "fresheners".)

19 comments:

Judy Ethington said...

I seriously could have written every word of this question, but didn't. What I'm trying now (yes, after 35 yrs of marriage, I still have a tough time dealing with it) is the Lysol automatic sprayer that releases your choice of smell every few minutes up to 30 min apart. I do the 30 min apart with an odor eliminator essence. I probably will keep trying until the day I die or my smeller gives out, which ever comes first.

Judy Ethington said...

Oh yes, and if you can train those using the toilet to SHUT THE DOOR RIGHT AWAY it will make the biggest difference.

Chris P. said...

That Judy is the first to comment on this makes me smile because we all know that Judy has THE most sensitive "smeller" on the planet!! I would take her advice seriously, folks. I can guarantee she's tested and tried every possible solution. I think I'm heading out to buy Lysol automatic sprayers :-)

megan said...

I've used Mrs. Meyers Room spray- lavender and it has taken care of any smelly problems I have encountered

John Hansen said...

My friend introduced me to "Poo~Pourri." Same idea as the cedar essential oil and water spray. It smells pretty good and usually only takes a spray or too. It's also not cheap smelling at all.

http://poopourri.com/

Alisha said...

Judy- keep up the good fight.

Megan-thanks, I like that brand so I'll try it.

John, I checked out that website and it looks really promising. Thanks. I'll have to order some before my dad's next visit.

Anonymous said...

This post took me back to day when we only had one bathroom. It happened to be in a basement apartment and there was NO FAN!!! We were poor newlyweds and we tried an air freshner spray. It was supposed to make the room smell peachy but we just referred to the mix of foul airs "peachy-poo." I like peaches but fake peach smells still make me kind of sick. Sorry I don't have any real solutions but I can sympathize.

Unknown said...

I have the same problem at work. The same place your husband works. Sometimes I go in there and it's like ten times worse than a honeybucket.

I've emplored my coworkers to use the "courtesy flush". That is, after the initial load has been deposited, flush it down. No use letting it stew. It hasn't caught on.

Hopefully you can make it happen in your own home.

ivana said...

You may need to instruct the offenders of the new policies and procedures... now, once the "bombs" have been dropped, flush straight away, before it invades the whole house ( yes.. our house becames toxic due to the boys..evrybody knows that girls smell like roses...)Also,if you do purchase a spray, get one that neutralizes the odour not just freshen up as all that stuff does is create migranes..... good luck from down under .

Angie K. said...

I must vouch for the "poo-pourri". I attended a convention where there was close to 200 people and only 4 bathroom stalls. There was a little spray bottle of this on the back of every toilet and there was not even a hint of evidence in the air that anyone had taken a poo all week.

Anonymous said...

I second the poo pourri. Stupid name. But the product works. It's something you spray in the toilet before taking a dump. No scent at all.

Anonymous said...

I hate air freshener, they only mask the odor, and it's like spraying toxic chemical with some artificial scent. I I bought the sharper image ionic breeze germicidal air purifier for my house, you walk in the room after 15 minutes, and it is like sterilized air!! It's been about 4 year and I love it!! After I change my kids diapers, I have it on in that room. I remember they have one for the bathroom and small rooms, for $50 at the time.

Lien

Rebecca Larsen said...

We got a can of lavender glade when we got married from someone being totally serious about her gift. I never want to associate "lavender" with bathroom again.


Knowing that we'd have only one bathroom in our first house, My husband vowed to do his "business" at work. I think that is a good little tidbit.

Al Gore said...

HELLO, PEOPLE...this is a major cause of global warmning. Ivana, it is also an "inconvenient truth" that not all girls smell like roses...quite to the contrary. As for the "courtesy flush", have any of you heard of WATER CONSERVATION? Lysol sprayers? Have any of you people heard of the OZONE LAYER? HELLO! Geez people...WAKE UP! It's only your nose...and Barrack's got you all covered on healthcare.

Anonymous said...

I agree with David. The courtesy flush is the way to go. We also use those scented oils you can get at Bath and Body. They last forever!

Alyssa said...

Poo-pourie is amazing! They come in different scents. Some more flowery and some more musky. You spray it in the toilet before and you never smell a thing after. Its amazing stuff!

Anonymous said...

Amazon is selling the sharper image air purifier for $26, never need to replace filters, and I decided to buy it, just got it in the mail a couple of days ago, and tested it in my bathroom, which was ready for cleaning, and it neutralized the odor!!

Lien

Anonymous said...

There's this stuff called "courtesy flush," found at bed, bath, and beyond I believe. Same idea as poo-pourie, but it's a little bottle of liquid. You put a few drops in the toilet beforehand, and it minimizes the smell greatly.

jack said...

Schulze and that I haven't yet shared this fabulous product with all of you. So here's my Air Detox blog.
ケムサーチ