Monday, November 16, 2009

Trying to be Jolly



Let's take a question, shall we?

Dear Alisha,
Christmas is around the corner. Our family likes taking small gifts to
our close friends and neighbors. I know homemade edibles are the typical
gift, but don't we already get plenty of sweets around the holidays? Plus I
hate baking. Do you have any non-food gift suggestions - things I can make
in bulk at a reasonable price?

Signed, Trying to be Jolly

Dear Jollies,
I'm so glad you asked!! I love that you're looking for a small gift other than mediocre baked goods. As much as I love them, I'm always sweeted out each Christmas to the point that I swear I'll never eat another cookies again. Right about that time the doorbell rings and a dear friend drops off a tub of corn syrup and candy covered breakfast cereal and we start all over again.
That said, don't be angry, but my first few suggestions are still edible:

~Fresh salsa-with or with out chips. Someone please do this!!! When I'm sweeted out from my own baking, I'd love to have something fresh, involving vegetables, that won't require dirting up my already in use food processor.

~Something pickled or canned. Sure you're cooler if you pickled the asparagus yourself, but you could buy it (or olives, pickles, etc.) put your own label on it, and the receiver would enjoy a non-sweet delicacy at their convenience.

~Simmer Sauce. Don't turn away! Aren't we all looking for different ways to get excited about chicken? Once again, you make it yourself or try a few from a store like TJ's and then pick your favorite and make your own labels.

~(non-edible) Christmas Ornaments. Duh.

~(non-edible) Faux cookie Christmas Ornaments. Like these
They're felt and you could deliver them on plates or single packaged like a cookie. It's the packing that would really sell it.

~(non-edible) Christmas CD. I've had friends deliver a favorite holiday song. Very thoughtful, I really meant to listen to it.
Finally, let's hope our comment room has some ideas. Come on! I'm not crafty! You should have asked this question to someone like Rachel D.!

13 comments:

Rachel D said...

I never made it past the felt bonbons...

Seriously - next time you post something that cute, please tell me where you found it!

I like the salsa idea. I've also thought about ornaments, sepcifically birds - either a felted wool dove or this cheery red bird: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=242.

As for other ideas, I'm thinking bath fizzies (because who cares if the guy doesn't like the gift? it's really girl -> girl anyway, right?).

I also found a peppermint hot chocolate mix that I like. I could see me buying a bunch and repackaging it. Or maybe gifting hot chocolate mix and chocolate dipped peppermint sticks to use as stir stick/flavor sticks. That's still food, and sweet, but - hey - if you can dodge the question, so can I. :)

Unknown said...

Alisha, I don't think you'd like homemade ornaments from anybody. Why suggest them?

I like simply sewn, but pretty patterned aprons, and a copy of a fovorite recipe. Or, a good book, and a package of hot chocolate or cider. You don't need to make the beverages by hand, just make sure they taste good. And the books can be vintage. A used classic novel is a... classy (I'm not THAT clever) gift.

If you're trying to bring joy to the entire family, bring a deck of cards, and instructions to your favorite family game. Or something similar.

All of these items create longer lasting memories, and don't make you feel sick.

Also, if it's from a package DON'T DELIVER IT. Let everyone save their obligatory calories for baked goods from scratch. Please.
Fun Fact: I have literally seen Alisha throw a sweetly delivered baked good on the floor in anger. "What 3 yr old box did that come from?"

Janalee said...

we do the salsa sometimes.

I remember the year my bro's and I made cookies in globe to give away. we'd used the wrong salty type of flour and they were really hard salty sugar cookies. we gave them away anyway. I wish I'd saved them for you.

I've gotten a homemade Christmas CD and we loved and listened to it the whole season.

I try not to be snarky about any gift given.

But good tips.

Judy Ethington said...

Yes, I've received the peppermint hot chocolate mix - and other flavors - many times, & usually I have plenty for the whole year! This year my friends and some family is getting a (blush) Christmas CD of one of my favorite local tenors. I'm only blushing because Alisha sort of made fun of it. But it will be done early and you won't gain weight!Another thing that I've done with neighbors is buy wrapping paper, tie a bow on one end and get it to them at least a week early. Badda bing, badda boom

Judy Ethington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy Ethington said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Love the salsa thing. We have had people do that for us.

Sorry, but we never get enough sweets to get sick of them. Hint...

And Nicki, that apron idea is exactly what I am doing this year for my sis-in-laws, and sisters. I saw the one you made (bought?)for Alisha, and loved it.

But thanks for the idea to add a recipe to it. That is just perfect.

Alisha said...

Sorry Rachel,
According to my detective work, those felt Bonbons use to be sold at The Land of Nod, but aren't any longer. They were like made my Melissa and Doug.

Niki, remember I like quirky, so I like homemade ornaments. They add depth to the tree. And while you miss quoted me, they story is mostly true:

Readers: my mom's rich neighbors dropped off a styrofoam plate of dry, burnt chocolate chip cookies (how creative!). Just gross. And they didn't even have young children to blame it on. That's worse than doing nothing at all, that's an insult. Anything delivered to me personally has been well received and almost always enjoyed.

Why all the deleted comments?

Mom, I like the music song idea, especially since it's something personal and probably wasn't illegally ripped.

Rachel D said...

I'm going to put my fingers in my ears and swear that I couldn't hear you and that those bonbons were never mass produced. There's a lady over at etsy who's crying as we speak.

Angie K. said...

Dear Alisha,
I am so glad you are moving forward with your blog. Now I know where to find all the answers. And thanks for all your cleaver suggestions.

One of my favorite gifts was given to me by you, a darling cookbook containing all your best desserts, with beautiful photos of each creation. I use it at least on a monthly basis. Any chance for a 2009 edition coming soon?

I already love your blog. Keep it coming.
Angie

Heather said...

That's right. I forgot about your desert cookbook. That was the best. I also use it on a regular basis, and show if off to everyone.

"Look how cute this is. My friend in Oregon did this. Isn't she clever!"

iknowjewels said...

I really meant to listen to it?


PS are you just making these questions up? I am pretty sure you are.

iknowjewels said...

"these dry cookies! I'll show you what to do with these dry cookies"
(crumbles them on the ground)

my mom "your going to have to clean that up".