Monday, September 27, 2010

The September Issue ...as told by a S.A.H. Suburban Mom



Let's just get this out of the way: no one needs to be a fashion slave to look good. But to say "I don't care what's in style, I just wear what I want", is a lie. A well dressed person doesn't worry about keeping up with every little trend, but has an idea of what is current. If you still think you don't care, that you are above following a little fashion, than skip reading this post and I'll leave you to your Loony Tune sweatshirts.

{Pause. I can't do it! I just can't do it. It's too much information to be summed up and too much to edit through. I'm over my head and I've been putting this off for weeks now. Why do you make me do this?? Here, eat your fashion slop and don't complain.}

The ending of August is thrilling, isn't it? {See how long ago I started this post?} Summer is winding to a close, school's about to start, you've just lost 10 pounds, and the September issue of Vogue hits news stands. Yipee! It's like your new life is about to start. A life with busy, industrious children and you dressing better than ever. Everyone knows that September is when fashion magazines put out their largest issue. It's like the start of the new year for fashion.

Looking through September magazines is a little like seeing what my year will be like, what tone the year will take in the form of what I'll be wearing,
or so I tell myself. Really, I'll be noticing obvious trends and what colors are big and what the general look is like and I'll try and translate a little of that into my Target/Gap/Banana/Nordstom's Rack/the real Nordstom's-on-occasion shopping.

Long ago I realized that the only thing that I can comfortably read while working out is fashion or gossip magazines. The quick images of skinny people with not too many words to read are perfect while laboring. So I made a rule for myself that I can only read such magazines while working out. It took me almost two weeks to get through the September Vogue.

Here are a few trends, (I'm already getting sick of that word, it's too limiting) from this September's fashion magazines.



First off, I didn't find Vogue's cover very enticing. A head shot of Halle Berry, who I don't really care for, and a bunch of busy words. Stay with me.

My favorite editorial was called "Sweater Girl" in Vogue. Hey! Sweaters! I can totally wear sweaters.

I really like the classic hair and clean makeup.

This is a sweater from J.Crew worn backwards. Next time I'm at Gap I might grab the teal sweater, instead of my standard gray or purple, and wear it- backwards?


Yes! Here it is. This is how I envision my ideal life as a mother, changing my naked baby on the grass while dressed up. You'll see this photo again in an upcoming series of idealized motherhood photos I'm working on.

The quote on one of the pages for this spread reads "In another age, suburban wives kept house-and themselves- pristine." Don't we though?

Other trends that it's okay to take or leave:

Country Weekend. It looks like a trip to Old Navy is in order. They have Fair Isles Sweaters that go on clearance for $15 every year.

Again, the 50's. I'm not going to lie. I love fifties style and shape. (Notice how I picked up on it being a trend when it's marked "The Trend".)


Leather and Lace. Doesn't this already look like a cheap dress from Hot Topics or the Juniors section? It costs $2,480. I can already see a pleather knock-off of it.

Global or Global Traveler. What am I suppose to do with this? Wear red yarn in my hair and hippie skirts?

Long sweaters with long skirts. And if you'd like to turn your sweater backwards, all the better. Come to think of it, my freshman Spanish teacher use to wear backwards sweaters. I wonder if perms and bright colored tinted glasses are going to come back around too.

Animal Prints. This picture isn't from Vogue, I couldn't find their animal pictures on line, but from thinkthrufashion.com. I like how it boarders both classy and tacky. I am already carrying a leopard print purse.

Trends not shown: The Rocker Girl, like this is something new. Tweed and Plaid, you already know what this looks like, you've probably already noticed the plaid trenches at Target. The 20's, yet again.

As I am huffing and puffing through the ads, because the magazine is mostly ads, I spot this picture on the left:


..and think, I've got this down. Blazer-check. Longer black t-shirt with long chunky necklace-check, skinny jeans-check, boots-already looking for. Then I noticed it was an ad for Ann Taylor LOFT. What could be more suburban??

To further prove my suburbanism, I saw this cover and found it very appealing:

Enough so that I bought the magazine, at Costco no less. I like their one fashion spread.

What wouldn't I wear on this page? Note the hard handle framed bag. This is a big trend that I adore. Unfortunately, this style has not hit the low end market yet, (meaning I can't find it at Target), but I hope it lasts and lasts.

I like the feel of this. Still I don't think I would break my "never wear a hat unless it's snowing" rule.

Inside was this statement "..the clothes that will hit the stores this fall-sophisticated instead of girlie, tasteful without being stodgy, and figure-flattering without revealing all-will at least make the getting dressed part smooth and drama free."

Does that mean no more leggings and tunics and ruffled mini-skirts? Please let it be so.
I am excited about what's to come.

Are there any trends you are looking forward too?


I'm worn out. Have no energy to cover In Style Magazine and their tips for buying the most unflattering pants ever.

14 comments:

iknowjewels said...

Do I get a limited pass for maternity clothes? At this point I am just looking for a nice fit, always in style. I can commit to accessory trends only (which will be a needed challenge)

On the flip side, I am very sad that I am missing 50's/early 60s fashion for women. Mad men fashions are all over the magazines, its torturous for me to watch from the sidelines.

Nora said...

Backwards sweaters? are you sure?

megan said...

Juli, What could be cuter than a beautiful pregnant woman rockin' the 50's/60's look. Find a maternity pencil skirt ( I think I got mine from Motherhood Maternity, not my favorite maternity clothes but the only place I could find one reasonably priced) and wear it with a cardigan, so easy and looks fantastic on a pregnant body. It was one of my favorites when I was pregnant. Just buy the classics and you will look great. They have much more flattering maternity clothes now than they even did 5, 10 years ago.

I am so excited for this seasons trends! I love winter clothes the best so I am already pumped to not have to wear clothes that I don't mind dripping in sweat (I'm in Arizona) from the summer heat. I wish I was somewhere a bit cooler so I could wear full out winter style. Sounds like I will have visit Merilee this winter.

The backwards sweater, why not?! as long as it is the right style then it should work. This is my only problem with it; sometimes it is uncomfortable to be leaning against buttons.

Oh Winter, I love you

Anonymous said...

I'll take the 50's please.

Janalee said...

it's the craziest thing. The DAY of this post, I went to the dentist and what was sitting right on the couch there? The September issue of Vogue. Fat as a textbook. I thumbed through it as I waited and felt like the real people.


But really. isn't that weird? like it was meant to be. this whole post. written just for me.

Crystal Pistol said...

Jana suggested I read your blog. She said I would like it. I hardly ever trust Jana because she has bad taste in blogs but in this case I must say...

I simply adore this blog! Count me in.

The structured handle bag is classic. I believe you are safe to wait until Target tosses one our way.


PS You are sickeningly beautiful, which is the highest compliment one woman can pay another.

Angie K. said...

I have always loved how you can pick the trends out of an unattainable vogue fashion magazine and apply it to everyday life for a suburban mom. I became much more fashion conscious after I became your friend. That was a very needed thing. I remember borrowing you pointy toe boots (back in 2002 when they were a fairly new fashion trend) and just feeling for the first time like I was actually in style. It felt good.

I think of you almost every time I watch Mad Men. Maybe you were born 50 years too late.

Also what does S.A.H. mean? Did I miss something?

Anonymous said...

What I really want is a pair of really nice leather gloves!I was really excited when I saw the nice gloves in real simple.

Marianne

Alisha said...

Thanks!

Angie-Stay At Home, it was just so long to include in the title. Don't feel bad, Justin asked me the same thing.

Can I say that I'm more of a Joan? Full circle skirts don't look good on me. They're really hard for most women to wear.

Leslie said...

LOL! I don't care what's in Style, and I'm not lying. I should be Amish, then I could just wear the same boring getup everyday. I pretty much do, different pair of jeans with a different shirt/blouse etc everyday unless it's Sunday and then I will wear a skirt. I know I'm pathetic, Alisha. You're probably wondering why you ever even talked to me, huh? Maybe when I'm older and have more class I can care about what's in style. I still enjoy your blog and adore you dear Alisha!!

Rebecca said...

Love this one!

oh wait, I think I say that every time.

The picture you envision as the ideal motherhood, I like that look for the long & lanky gal(ahem Jana). But that type of sweater on me tends to flatten the boobs too much and be unflattering on the belly, emphasize thicker arms- and full skirts, ugh! Especially on a shortie like me.

But that last picture, I love! I bought a gorgeous skirt similar to that last month and now I've got to find THAT shirt...

I agree, so happy to see the leggings go, because I don't look good in them.

Judy Ethington said...

I want the purse. But the photo of blonde mom with naked baby really looks like an awkward family photo contestant to me.
Maybe you will pick up some fashionista, fantastic frivolity in London, eh?

Carrie said...

this is way too overwhelming for me to give my full opinion on.
can i just say i love the september issues - still flipping through them - elle, vogue, and, instyle.
speaking of which - have you seen 'the september issue'? it was cool but i was a little underwhelmed.
oh, and the september issues just have to be right when ny fashion week is happening too!
overload!
i love marc jacobs new spring line.
ok, that's all i can say without writing an essay.

Carrie said...

oh, and i totally agree about the cover.