Thursday, September 16, 2010

Young and Prosperous

The bags under my eyes will be much darker.

Dear Alisha,

I work in an environment where most of my coworkers are much older than me. In fact so much most of them are old enough to be my parents! I'm not embarrassed by my age around them, but I never know what to say when clients ask how old I am.

I feel like they wont trust me with their accounts and will take their business elsewhere if they do find out. I've tried skirting the issue or saying things like "old enough to vote!" but I still feel awkward. Isn't it still considered rude to ask a woman's age? Maybe they can justify it since I'm younger not older?

Enlighten me, how can I respond gracefully without revealing my age, not make them feel awkward yet still know their question isn't appreciated?

Sincerely,

Unenlightened

Dear Young and Prosperous,

So let me get this straight: your problem is that you look too young to be in your successful career? Is this really a problem? It sounds like a compbrag to me. To show I'm a good sport, I'll proceed as if this were a serious problem.

Older people feel justified in asking younger people their age. It's allowed. Like when I ask and marvel at how young some of the other mother's around me are who have children my same age. "So you're only 24?" No wonder her skins looks so good.

Here's what I would do, depending on how I felt that day: answer frankly with your real age. Give them your age plus 10 years. This is my favorite option because then you'd hear "my you look good for 44" over and over again and they'd still trust you. Or just say something like "young" and leave it at that. You don't have to tell them.

Should we all pretend this is a real problem? Do we have any other great ideas for our Young one?

6 comments:

Justin Garrity said...

How come you look so angry in 20 years?

Janalee said...

I feel sad for this lonely little comment in here...


to answer, it's easy to give those glib little answers without feeling awkward. You just have to be ready for them.

ex: How much money to you make?

Enough to pay the bills - haha!

How old are you?

Older than I look! wink wink.

or You'd be surprised! chuckle chuckle. change subject gracefully

No need to feel awkward unless you make it so.
________

I want to do that age in 20 years game. And you look like you've had some hard years hitting the bottle and cigs. Will Dear Alisha really take that kind of toll on you? I guess we'll find out in 20 years!

Rebecca Larsen said...

Um, I really doubt you'll look that bad in 20 years. I did one of those awhile back and it gave me full jowls! I looked like a bull dog! Now I wish I had the picture- see how brave and unashamed you are?

I used to get that all the time when I was fresh out of nursing school-or even during it... "are you sure you are old enough to be doing this?" I was more insulted that they thought I was/looked incompetent than being offended by the age slam. But I'd throw a few technical terms their way and walking them through it did wonders. "Wow! You're really good. Do you think the old nurses know about that?"

And then I'd go and get all arrogant until the humbling comment would resurface once again.

Anonymous said...

It really was a serious question! I promise!

iknowjewels said...

This has happened to me since day 1 of my career. At first, I lied or skirted the question (who wants to know it's their nurse's first shift on their own?).
Then, I tried to skirt the question. Now I just answer the question frankly and then back it up by using my experience in the field (8 years in medical, over 3 as an RN). It helps, but really what matters is how you treat and show your competence in your field.

Judy Ethington said...

To answer Justin's question, probably constipation. It shows on her face.