Thursday, January 19, 2012

Dear Diary

I have that feeling like when you write in your journal for the first time in a year and you feel the need to re-hash what has happened and how you felt about it (and what you were wearing) but it's all too much for one entry. "Just start with where you are now" they say.

I am not sure if I am ready to re-commit to blogging, but here is a smattering of posts that I had started and never finished or things I have thought about or done over the last few months. Again, nothing is complete, I find I don't even complete my own sentences any


Here's how it's going to work:  I show you a few photos, many of which you have already seen if you follow me breathlessly close on Facebook.  I say what's in my head when I look at these, maybe even explain what the post was going to be had I finished it, and then you tell me how cute my kid is in the comment room.  Shall we begin?


Fall Fashion Trends as modeled by Violet

Ankle and mid-calf boots seem to be replacing knee high or over the knee boots.  I think they make my legs look shorter.  This doesn't mean you have to throw out your knee highs, they are a standard, but don't expect jeans tucked into knee high or taller boots to look cutting edge.






Gold.  It's everywhere.  It is not a color I can pull off on it's own, seeing how I don't have Violet's complexion but I found that it brought depth and richness to my standard gray, purple, and brown hues.


































Above: A frank discussion on jeans and jeggings and where we are at now.  Just when most of us had adjusted to skinny jeans, stores and magazines have displayed bootcut again!  And not a conservative bootcut, but rather the skin hugging and then flare suddenly out at the bottom kind.  The very jeans that I recently thought were so out of style.  With the wisdom of fall behind me, I don't think bootcut caught on big again.  Stylish women are still wearing skinny, fitted jeans.  But now you're allowed to do either, I guess.

Not shown because I never took the pictures:

-Vintage inspired black lace dress -I loved this and regret not taking the photos.
-Teal, the color-we were both going to wear it while both reading magazines.  Someday.
-Pleated shorts over stockings -something only a baby can wear.

Halloween:  Another excuse for a wig. 
Can you guess why I love this picture? Whitman is Aquaman, Justin is Sexy-(he's taken ladies)- Brainiac, and Davy is Super-thong-man.
Violet met her cousin Max, who is 6 weeks older and wiser.  As you can see, he was concerned for her comfort and welfare the whole trip.



I can't believe I'm even showing you Christmas pictures, so over it, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my flocked tree.  It was a spicy smelling fresh Frasier fur that was sprayed with whatever they flock a tree with, probably something terrible, but you don't have to water the tree or put it on a stand.  
Violet enjoyed it too.




Here's a picture of the whole tree...
Har, har.



I am still making Pavlova's and you can't stop me.



Christmas: another excuse for a wig.



New Years Eve:  What do you do if you are already married and don't drink?  Exactly.  I did decide to have a "dark dinner".  No electricity can be used anywhere in the house.  The fact that I was given two large candelabras for Christmas may have motivated me a little bit, but this could be done with sensible candles or food storage oil stuck in an old pumpkin or whatever.  We ate Thai food.  For good luck!





And Carrot Cake Cookies.  For good luck!  [I've been making this recipe for 10 years and it's golden, just as is.  Other options are to add chopped nuts, sub 3/4 cup drained pineapple for 1/2 cup of the sugar, and add orange zest to the filling.]


Finally, it snowed in my dining room the whole month of December.  I hung lightweight snowflake ornaments, maybe 2 dozen or so, on clear fishing wire attached to the ceiling with a clear thumbtack.  Magic.  But like most magic it needed to come down in early January.

Come back tomorrow for a real Q&A from a desperate mother!

9 comments:

Rachel W said...

I Fully expected a post about the snow you guys got. Love Pavlova. I've heard it's tough to make though, so good for you! Cute NYE dinner!

Janalee said...

I remember doing that snowflake thing with red and green ornament balls. It looked so neat. But that was back when we had our popcorn ceiling and it could hide all the tack marks. Now with the smooth plaster finish I could never stick a tack in or the hole would be obvious. I can't even use tape because peeling it off pulls off the paint and leaves a mark. oh my delicate little ceilings, you look beautiful, but you are useless to me now.

Janalee said...

oh and I love that pic of max being concerned for Violet. so funny.

those carrot cookies do not appeal to me at all. you've always talked them up so much, are they really so great?

Rebecca said...

Yes, Jana, the cookies are that great. I had 3 of them in one afternoon (but only because it was my birthday).

So good to see you blogging again, Alisha. Your kids are so cute. Your fashion advice much needed and we will be breathlessly awaiting your next post.

Janalee said...

oh yah. Can you do the world a favor and take a picture of all of Violet's shoes? I'm sure the baggie I saw at your mom's was just the tip of the iceburg.

Alisha said...

Jana, do you like a good carrot cake? ('Safeway doesn't sell carrot cake!!!") Maybe that's your problem. The cookies are like a really good carrot cake but a little crisp around the edges.
Remember when you suggested I add flax to them? As if they were so healthy with the carrots that I might as well throw in the towel and add flax.

Janalee said...

I didn't say can you make fun of me for flax, I said can you take a picture of Violet's shoes.

Judy Ethington said...

Thanks for posting the "partly's" - I hadn't seen those photos, and they are good. Love your Christmas tree. Can I have the recipe for the carrot cake cookies? Everything sounds so fabulous when you are on a diet.......

Angie K. said...

I just figured out you have been blogging for a while, unbeknownst to me. Thank you. I am going to catch up fully tomorrow.

Violet looks gorgeous in her adorable white and mint sweater. That girl can work it.