Friday, January 20, 2012

Dear Not Running (Out of Steam)



Dear Alisha,
Where to begin? I am a mother who is struggling a bit. Let me begin my saying that I love my children and my husband and I wouldn't really want any other life than this.

But some days, I feel like I could run away and be happier just living on my own with no noses to wipe, diapers to change, sleep to lose, or messes to clean up. Most days I feel great. And I really do. I love my life and I love the company of my children. It's just sometimes it creeps in (and lately it has been creeping in more often) -- the feeling that I have to get out of here. I can't bear to argue with a toddler for one more minute, or to listen to whining all day long. If anybody makes one more mess that I have to clean up, I'm going to scream.

One thing that really makes me sad is that I always thought I would have a big family. I never anticipated it being this hard. And I think it's the monotony that makes it hard for me. And feeling like I am no longer just "me" I can't just go anywhere and do anything without the challenges of fighting and struggling with kids. (Can you tell that today is one of those bad days?) So thinking about having more children is a combination of feeling like our family isn't complete yet and feeling like I'm not sure I could handle more children.

Again, I wouldn't leave my family. So my question is, is this normal? Do all moms feel like this sometimes and it comes and goes and you just chalk it up to being tired and worn out and that it won't be like this forever? And if it's normal, I need some encouragement. Some uplifting words to get me through those long days that are so discouraging.

And if it's not normal, well, then I don't know where to go from here. Lots of prayers, I guess.

Sincerely,
Not Running



The first chance I get to escape from here.... 


Dear Not Running,

Have you been reading my journal??  I bet a large portion of mothers can identify with the feelings you are having.  

I have my ups and downs as a mother too.  It seems to me that the hardest phase was after I had two kids.  The lack of freedom -and sleep-was such an adjustment.  It was always a battle between what might entertain my kids and what I wanted to do. House work became never ending.  

Oddly, I find it easier now that I have more children.  I don't know if it's because my days are busier, have more of a routine,  or if I am more use to the lack of get-up-and-go freedom. Or maybe I'm better at ignoring whining.  Most likely I've adjusted my expectations.

I am trying to think of practical things that have helped me. These are loose suggestions:

Nourish yourself.  This is the stuff self-help books are made of.  I have even talked about it a little bit in a post here: Not a Teenager Anymore.  Really, keep your mind engaged and interested in life.  Just because your kids like dumb cartoons and juvenile stories doesn't mean you have to.  Don't be the kind of mom who sacrifices everything for her kids, including her own personality and interests.  Nobody wants that.

Find things you can look forward to doing with your children around.  It may be easier to think of things that you can look forward to doing without your children, and those are good too, savor them, but they aren't available all that often.  I am rather social and feel better when I'm not alone with my kids all day and sometimes all night.  For example, going to the park with my kids is mind numbingly boring.  But going to the park with my kids and other moms and their kids is fun.  Win-win. Persist in setting up park play dates.  "You feel like a good mom any day your kids play outside at the park."  I have tried baking with my kids with mixed results, probably more positive than not.  I like gardening while they dig dirt around me.  Recently I have taken to finding children's books that I actually enjoy reading.  It helps if they have gorgeous illustrations. 


I love this book by Gyo Fujikawa


Let your kids learn how to entertain themselves.  You don't want to be stuck doing that forever.

Your kids will not always be this demanding.  I enjoy the company of my older children.  They are less work and have interesting conversations with me.

Develop a good support network.  That might be helping your husband understand how you are feeling and help bear the load. It also means friends you can call up when you are having a bad day and need out of the house.  Or family or good friends you can email your deepest feelings and complaints to. Having a great group of friends and support will probably take some work and most likely will not just fall into your lap.

Remember that even when you were childless you still had obligations and responsibilities and not every day was bliss.  It is impractical to expect nirvana now.  This article has been circulating the web and I liked it: Don't Carpe Diem.  [There are probably hundreds of great articles and talks on this subject but do you own research.  Or maybe my readers will have something to offer you.] 
If your life doesn't seem perfect at all times, that doesn't mean you aren't doing a great job.  

Oh! Lastly, I don't regret having any of my kids.  I doubt you would regret another child if you felt like that was what you should be doing.  Let it be your decision and don't feel pressured by anyone .

But what do I know?  
How about it Readers?  What words of wisdom or encouragement do you have for our (not) Running Mother?



8 comments:

Audrey said...

Okay, I totally agree with everything that Alisha says here, especially about not sacrificing yourself and your interests and personality for your kids and husband. Find friends, find a hobby, do what you love. But Alisha failed to mention something that I feel very strongly about, and you gave me a clue when you said that you sometimes feel like running away, like screaming, like it's creeping in, discouraging...I think you are suffering from . Maybe it's (which can start anytime up to a year or so after your baby is born and last a few months or a few years)or just depression...but it's very, very common and nothing to brush off. It's chemical/hormonal and isn't necessarily because of genetics or anything you may have done to cause it. It just is. But medication REALLY helps. It's so amazing when you start taking anti-depressants and you start to come out of the fog of feeling overwhelmed and exhausted and incapable and guilty and all the feelings that depression can create...and you're finally free. It's enough to make me tear up now as I think about when I had my first baby and found myself suffering from postpartum depression. I couldn't believe how hard it was to be a mom, how exhausted I felt. My baby cried constantly (he was colicky) and I had moments of panic and anxiety, as well as just feeling so overwhelmed and inadequate and unhappy...I thought perhaps this was all normal. I confided in a friend and she suggested I talk to my doctor about PPD. I'd heard of PPD, but didn't realize I had it. I started a very low dose anti-depressant and within a week I was feeling so relieved of the invisible burden I'd been carrying. I didn't feel that exhausted, foggy feeling I'd felt. I didn't feel overwhelmed. I felt like I could handle my life and enjoy my baby. I still remember that prior to taking the medication, I had some skepticism about whether I actually had postpartum depression, or whether these were actual real feelings that were a normal response to having a colicky baby. Then when I took the medication, I had this realization that I'd really been suffering from a real, medical condition that had been making my life hell. What a trip! Anyway, I encourage you to consider whether or not you are suffering from depression. Worst case scenario, you go to the doctor, try out some meds for a few months, and there aren't any changes. Well, then at least you could rule that out. But I'm willing to bet that a lot of your feelings of wanting to get out, sadness, discouragement, etc will disappear. Then once you get to that point, you could consider whether or not you want more children. I had 2 more after my first, and have taken very low dose anti-depressants after the birth of each one for a few months. I breastfed all my kids, and was told that the amount of AD meds they would receive through my milk was negligible to nothing. True? Who knows...but I felt that it was worth the risk, honestly....because what is worse...that?...or a mom who is depressed? I felt that being a happy, healthy mom was pretty important. I definitely don't regret it. Anyway, good luck, and hope you find some peace and happiness. Oh, and keep praying!! :)

Audrey said...

I'm not sure why, but it deleted the words "postpartum depression" and "depression" from the 9th and 10th lines...

Christy Wheeler said...

I loved this post. I have only one son so I don't really feel like this too often (yet), but I am about to have my second boy and have a lot of friends that are having a hard time dealing with two. Alisha even said that the hardest time was having two. So this has been something that has been on my mind lately.
I do feel like I can relate to the things that Alisha mentioned to improve these feelings. I try to find things that I enjoy doing with my son because I don't feel like I need to constantly do whatever he wants to do, I can find things that we both like doing.
I also noticed that when I spent a little bit of time on myself I felt much better. When you feel good about yourself, you are more willing to give of yourself to your family. I feel like I am saying the same stuff everyone does and agreeing with Alisha, I don't think this helps much but I think it is safe to say that most moms understand. It is normal. It will get better. Good luck, and find a way to take a little break every once in a while.

Alisha said...

Thank you for the insight Audrey! PPD did cross my mind but I guess I thought her kids were a little older and she only felt this was occasionally, but this isn't my area of expertise. I am really glad you shared this.

LIttle T said...

here's a link worth a read:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/mommy-wars_b_1210602.html

Rachel D said...

Yes, every mother can empathize with this. One thing that helps me is regular date nights with my husband. Leaving the chaos of my house, getting out without the children, talking to a grown up - my favorite grown up, no less - helps. It helps me remember that motherhood is one facet of my life, but I am still me, someone with interests and abilities in areas other than the domestic arts.

I also agree that the social aspect is easier now that my older children are school-age. I'm not home as much, I'm interacting with other moms every day, there's less whining, his projects are still messy, but at least he can help clean up. Before I had my last baby, I honestly wasn't sure I wanted to start over again. My youngest was at preschool half-days. We could pack up on a whim and leave on a day trip without worrying about sippy cups or diapers or nap schedules. I could cook dinner with little-to-no interruption. But I chose to start over. Yes, it's an adjustment, but I know I'll be at that easier spot again.

I'll also advocate for help. I think I had postpartum depression after my first, but I didn't realize it at the time. It was only after I had my other children and could compare my recoveries that I realized that my first recovery wasn't "normal."

After my second (my hardest adjustment too), I got parenting advice from a temperament nurse at Kaiser. I'd read several parenting books, but was completely overwhelmed with my in-to-everything three-year-old and a newborn. I loved the conversations with the temperament nurse because the focus wasn't on discipline, it was on MY CHILD - aspects of his personality, daily routine, interests. She could even tell me that my son would likely struggle with A, B, and C down the road but excell at X, Y, and Z. Then she suggested ways for me to manage A, B, and C and what to expect. So far, everything she said has been correct. It's really helped me see my children differently. Plus I could ask specific questions like, "He won't stop turning the reading light on and off while I'm driving. It drives me nuts! And I've tried everything!" Yes, it seems petty but the build up of all the different petty things was wearing on me.

Good luck, brave momma!

Melissa Myers said...

My advice - get cheap help. The only way I survived the birth of my 3rd and 4th children was to hire local 12 year old girls to play with my other children or clean my kids' rooms while I took care of the baby, or took a shower and did my hair, etc. It is amazing what a difference 1 hour of help makes!

Little T said...

Another good article:

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/to-the-mother-with-only-one-child