Friday, January 3, 2014

Sugary Sweet, Cotton Candy Pink Baby Girl's Room

If something seems off in your life, unsettled. I think I owe you an apology. Almost 3 years ago I teased you with this post: I Love Paris in the Spring Time, about turning the below baby boy's room into a girl's room. I made it sound like I would soon show you the results. Years later I am finally delivering the goods. The room has looked like this for.. the 2 and a half years of my daughter's life, but, you know, I don't like to brag.

Before: I loved this mural. It's hard to see, but the whole room has subtle trompe-l'oeil paneling.

After: like all murals in our house, this took negotiating and patience and Justin did all the work.  Get this, at first he painted ALL FOUR WALLS. But it was too much for me so he covered up all but this feature wall. I had envisioned a pink grove of cherry or crabapple trees and he was willing to oblige.

Proof of baby

note the tiny hanging hot air ballon in the corner-



You may already know this, but I collect old cards. They are so pretty and papery. Technically, I'm told I am a "paper collector". Not a hoarder.

Maybe I should take the opportunity to talk about the color pink in home decor. I like it. It's my husband's favorite in-home color. It is flattering and when it shows up in say, a kitchen or a laundry room, it is a fresh surprise. But do you know the one place it's not really a surprise? In a baby girl's room. Despite it seeming rather expected and maybe over done, I did it anyways because I was just itching for soft baby pink. I'm a sucker for those pink trees every spring.

I thought I should finally show you this room, as next week Violet gets bumped from her crib and I will attempt to squish another child into this tiny space.


8 comments:

Emily said...

It looks amazing (of course). Good luck with labor and delivery #5!

Anonymous said...

Justin is so incredibly talented. This is truly exceptional.

Chance

Rachel D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel D said...

This makes me miss Baby Violet. I love Toddler Violet, but I will have to love on your new little one to get my baby fix.

Justin Garrity said...

Alisha forgot to mention that I painted the entire room, all four walls, with a tiny 1/2" paint brush.

Justin Garrity said...

… to give it a dithered look.

Justin Garrity said...

Alisha forgot to mention that I painted the entire room, all four walls, with a tiny 1/2" paint brush.

Julie Atzmiller said...

Sooooo beautiful !