Sunday, September 11, 2011

Quality Education

First day of 2nd or 3rd Grade. Gorgeous.
(I remember my grandma took me to get this haircut while visiting her house and she didn't ask my mother first. I didn't get why that was such a big deal at the time. I loved that purse and carried it with me everywhere.)


Dear Alisha,

Is academics your highest priorities for your kids? If you could afford the best school that challenges your kids academically and also in the arts, would you pay for it, if you could?

Sincerely,
Quality Education

Dear Quality Education,

Who is going to say no to you? Who would actually ever say no, academics isn't important?
I will say this, academics is not my highest priority for my kids. My highest priority is more that they are well rounded and happy children that grow to be successful, spiritual, giving, exciting adults. Or something like that. (I have never made a mission statement for my parenting before.) To be those things, they need to be educated in academics as well as the ways of life.

I do not think I would put my kids in private school unless something unusual happened. I like public education. I think it is important to support it. There is something to be learned in all schools. My favorite school that my children have attended so far has been a low income, Title One school, comprised largely of the children of migrant workers. If you looked at the test scores and statistics on the school it was a horror story. But my son learned to read in Spanish and English, improved his communications skills, and developed his social skills. His fellow classmates were sweet and fun and his teachers were competent and caring. And there was a free breakfast. (A free nasty breakfast but it was fun for Trevor on occasion.)
I also think it is important to consider the needs of the whole family. We eventually switched to the school in our neighborhood because my son had two napping siblings at the time he needed to be picked up every day. An added bonus to attending a local school is that he has been able to make friends with the children who live around us.

I don't like it when parents complain about teachers. (Those greedy teachers!) Sometimes it seems as if people want to prove their good parenting by finding fault with the teacher and school. I have found elementary teachers to be caring and in it for the right reasons. Most aren't perfect but they do a much better job at teaching my children academics than I would.
The End.

First Grade. Look how blond!

And now allow me to meander.
This week my three sons started school and I went to meet their teachers and hear about the class with both my youngers. First it was off for a kindergarten placement test at a public school. His teacher was testing a small group of students together while the parents loomed about. The parents were of different races and gender, but I was the only one not displaying a large amount of tattoos. Even the mothers! And not the simple 'I had some fun in college' kind either. Their forearms were covered and they looked freshly inked.
Which brings me to my second rank:
Why so junky?
Some of the parents were dressed conservatively, so it seemed even weirder on them. Has the world watched too many episodes of Miami Ink? They look a little trashy now but with only look sillier as they age.

Then a lovely Asian mother arrived with her daughter wearing a "Jesus Loves Me" t-shirt and I knew I was safe. While all the other kids struggled to count to 20, (most skipped 15), to further stereotypes this little girl smoothly counted to 100.

Next stop was to my little son's parent-co-op-artisty-pre-school. Here they met with us one on one. They wore Tevas. They smiled and nodded a lot. My kids could do no wrong. There was the subtle smell of garlic in the air. (Can garlic even be subtle?? Okay garlic, we get it.) The teacher was over qualified to sit in a circle with 2 and 3 year olds and sing songs. She also said from both teaching and "experiencing" several different types of education, "there is no perfect school".

I know this can be a controversial topic, and I didn't even bring up home-schooling, but are you satisfied with your child's education or is the grass greener elsewhere? Would you chose private school?(I don't like that I am even giving you that option. Learn to be happy.)


First Day of 4th Grade. As you can see, I am already exuding style.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so great Whitman is going to a hippie preschool! He sounds like he will have some fun!

I have a baby and clearly no school yet. However, I live in a state that is 49th in the nation for public schools (only followed by Mississippi). We have discussed this openly as manym well educated, parents have voiced concerns over the quality of education when there are 40 kids in one elementary class (not even exaggerated). And the principal is even spelling words wrong at orientation (yikes!). They also want the kids to bring toilet paper as part of their school supplies, which is sad, but understandable. That said, we plan on using private schools which are pretty common here. We just don't want to hold our kids back by underfunded public education.

Alisha said...

Dear Unknown,

That is unbelievably bad!! So crazy. I laughed at the toilet paper as school supplies. So sad.

Public education is the greatest equalizer!!

(you have my blessing at private school)

Janalee said...

One of my goals in life is to have a strong opinion about education. (or anything). I'm happy with our kid's public schools. I've seen great people rise out of the worst and vice versa. I really think it's a lot how you're educated at home (and not necessarily academically, but morally, socially and common sense-ly) and whether you have that inner drive to learn and are enthusiastic about it.

funny about the proving your a good parent remark - didn't I plant that idea in your head many years ago?

"There's no easy answer"

Julie Barnes said...

I plan on homeschooling unless we are in a place that we can afford a private school. My Mom is a teacher and she loves her job. The kids are OK in public school, I just really want to give my children an opportunity to create their own education.

Aunt Chris said...

Since I'm a grandmother and not making these weighty education decisions anymore, I want to comment on your photos accompanying this post. I love the memories! I was there and I remember your cuteness during all those days. Even then, Alisha, you were destined for great things! So fun :-)!!

Rachel D said...

I’m surprised by people who have opinions about private schools when they’ve never been involved with them. It’s like people making judgments about religion when they’ve never set foot in another church. They generalize (those hypocritical Baptists or those cult Mormons), yet they don’t bother to really understand them. There are schools – public and private – that offer good things and there are schools – public and private – that will not be the best match for your child.

I too believe in supporting public education. I’m a product of the public education system and I taught in a public elementary school. I have no problem paying taxes for education in addition to my son's school tuition. While my son attended public school, my husband and I both volunteered regularly. We liked his teachers. I still recommend my son’s kindergarten teacher to everyone I know. But there are reasons we considered other options and now that we’ve moved on, so far we’re happy.

All public schools are not alike, nor are all public school teachers. I went from an elementary school that had just lost its Title I status and had little funding to the elementary school district with the highest income per capita in the state. Honestly the Title I school had better teachers, but the test scores were higher and the parents more satisfied in the wealthy part of town.

There’s a HUGE range of private schools – both in terms of academic approach and student population. You can’t generalize all private schools together. I’ve also been impressed with how non-elite the private world can be. I’ve met families on food stamps, a classmate with Down Syndrome, sheep farmers, high-tech engineers, and plenty of ESL families. My Caucasian son is a minority at his school. Catlin Gabel (not where my kids go) offers over 2 MILLION dollars in financial aid because they want a diverse student population.

I also feel like it’s hard to generalize elementary schools in the same breath as high schools because there are so many more curriculum options - both in terms of academic levels and interests - in public high schools. So perhaps some of the reasons parents opt out of public schools during the elementary years resolve themselves as children mature and the academic approaches change.

Emily said...

As was mentioned it starts at home, we are our children's must influential teachers. And I think we are the ones to help them have a good attitude about whatever school (public or private)that they go to and whatever teacher they have.
Earlier this week I was voicing my concerns to a friend that I am worried Noah will be bored come kindergarten after learning basically the same things academically during 2 years of preschool and then possibly the same things again in kindergarten. She set me straight by telling me that when her son entered K he did already know a lot of the things that they were learning about but he chose to have a good attitude about it and participate. It all comes down to attitude as well as helping out where we can because most of us cannot afford private school and will be putting our children through the public school system which in my opinion is beyond out dated and has so many problems, but it is better than nothing and for me it is what I will choose of home-schooling (I wouldn't stay sane if we went that route.)

Emily said...

Great comment Rachel.

megan said...

I think it really depends on the child and the parents. I know so many wonderful people that have come from public, private, and home schooling back grounds. I even know a few families that have each of their kids at a different school depending on their personalities and the emphasis of the school. Right now my oldest in in Preschool and he goes to a home preschool taught by two ladies we go to church with. So i don't have much experience with

megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alisha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alisha said...

Thanks for all the comments!

It's nice to hear a thoughtful and different perspective Rachel!
For the record, I don't think private school is bad or cult-ish, I'm just determined to make public work seeing how we haven't had any real issues.

Jen said...

I was just talking to my mom the other day about home schooling. And I realize, that for some, it is a sensitive subject. (I'm guessing that's why Alisha didn't even want to go there.) When I say this, I am not hoping to offend anyone. It is just my opinion, and I recognize that my opinion is neither right nor wrong. It is simply just an opinion.

As I look back on my public school education, I have such fond memories. Everything from (some) new clothes, freshly sharpened pencils, school supplies, to the smell of the classroom at the start of a year. That new paper mixed with chalk dust and cleaned carpet smell. I loved it. I wasn't popular, and I didn't have the time of my life. I was bullied a little, and was super awkward. (Big thick glasses + perm gone terribly wrong didn't help one bit!) But I still look back and loved it. Do you know what it was? The teachers. The activities we did as a class. Rainy day schedule playing heads up seven up. Reading books as a class, going on field trips. Being independent away from my family (I'm the youngest of 6.) Was I exposed to bad things? You bet. Did I have to make choices to either follow the rules or break them? Of course. Did I make wrong decisions? You'd better believe it. Did I have to make reconciliation? Yes. And I did, on many separate occasions. And I learned how to say I'm sorry and strive to do better. I learned how to make friends and keep them. And lose them, too. So for me, I would never want my kids to miss out on any of that. The good and the bad. I want them to learn how to interact with society, how to make mistakes. (at a time when mistakes are minor and easy to make better.) I want my kids to learn how to be away from me and how to live in this world while still being good and honest and kind.

Now, I get that there's a lot of crazy stuff in this world and it's getting harder and harder for children to deal with outside forces. But I don't think keeping your child at home is doing them any favors. And that's my opinion.

And the truth is, home schooling is probably just fine for those who do it. It just isn't what I want for my kids. (Please don't hate me. But if you must, I can take it.)

A comment on public vs private schooling -- I think it's just what your preference is. A lot of a kid's success at school stems from the environment they have at home. (But not in every instance. There is always an exception.) I think it's important to make education a priority at home and to encourage your child to be successful. I agree with what Jana said.

Dawna the Homeschooling Mama said...

I think you should do what is best for each child. They have different personalities and different learning styles and their education should reflect those differences.
We teach our children at home. I'm not against public or private schools but we just did what was best for our kids and family. Each family has to arrive at that decision. I never pictured myself homeschooling but we just felt right about it.
When many people think of homeschooling, they have an image of kids sitting at a table with their mom as the teacher.(avoiding the world) We're actually out of the house A LOT. We're learning about the world-the real world. My kids inneract with people of all ages,races,religions, and backgrounds because of homeschooling. I think this environment is more indicative of the real world. I'm not shielding them, I'm exposing them to many great things and opportunities. I get to learn things all over again and it's amazing. Involve God in your decision and you can't go wrong.

Anonymous said...

There's a great documentary, 'Waiting for Superman' - everybody should watch it.

Lien

Tatiana said...

Love the photos! Such great memories. Now that we have a close to home choice for private, I still choose public. Of course there are ups & downs, but for the most part its great! I have friends who tried the private & ended up bringing thier kids back to public. I also have friends who started at private with thier kinder kids & still love it. I agree that its what works for the child & the parent. Go public!... for this household.