Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Girl with the Lost (Ear) Ring


Dear Alisha, I need some help organizing my jewelry. Right now it is all such a mess that I am always rooting around for something--necklaces of varying sizes tangled and earrings all over the place. How do you keep your accessories organized?

Sincerely,

The Girl with the Lost Earring

Dear Girl with the Lost Earring,

Keeping in mind that I am terrible at organizing and that I lose everything, here is what I came up with to organize my jewelry. Originally I had my trinkets closed up in mirrored jewelry boxes. I could never see my goods all at once, it was hard to find what I was looking for, and I was under utilizing my costume jewelry. And like you, the necklaces were a tangled mess.

Since I am not too particular, I have earrings in small boxes, necklaces that would tangle hanging on the trees, and chunky necklaces or bracelets to the back of the drawer. I do have older jewelry that I no longer wear stashed in mirrored boxes. I get rid of old clothes but old jewelery keeps me sentimental with out taking up much space. Plus, didn't you love going through your Grandma's old jewelry box and seeing all the cool old stuff? I'm preparing now.

Not that it matters to anyone but me, but the above photo shows the real colors in my bedroom, not lightened up like the rest of the photos. The trees stands are from Urban Outfitters and are available in two other metal finishes. Notice how round and fleshy my elbows are, (Jana).

I already know Jana is going to have herself in a tizzy as soon as she sees this. "Why do you have so many necklaces? Do you really wear them all? At once? How do you ever decide which to wear? Ughh *small indignant sigh*".

I have certain friends that are much more organized than this. I am sure Melinda has everything she owns lined up according to size, metal and is alphabetized, but hey, you asked me. I like that I can see my stash and I no longer lose jewelery. At least that I am aware of.

Moving on to my more recent activity, I have been happy with costume jewelry. I like how big it can be for such a little price. Who needs to waste big money on real jewels, right? Except, have you heard of ebay? Have you seen the deals on jewelry?? It's nuts!!! They make regular jewelry stores look like such a rip off. Plus a real ruby ring is something you would keep and hand down to your children. They will at first undoubtedly not like the setting but then later it will come around again and be desirable. I will share with you what I have been watching:


First off, a little explanation: My Grandma has been sitting around the house dripping in rubies. My Grandpa gave her a sizable necklace and matching earrings for her 80th birthday. Because she can get away with it, she has been teasing me with who she will leave them to. "I think you'd really like them. They're really nice quality rubies! Did I mention they're set in white gold? I don't think Bethanne would ever wear them...Oh, but I can only leave jewelry to daughters." Which got me thinking, why not invest in my own little ruby? I'd wear a ring the most! Get me ebay!!

This was my first selection:
Justin sweetly bid on it for me as a surprise while I was at book club. He waited till the last 5 seconds to place his bid, but didn't realize there was a 2nd "confirm" window and missed out. Really, it's not the thought that counts.

So tonight.....
I came this close to buying this 8ct sapphire. This close. But what's the hurry? Does it look too much like a man's ring?

I am watching/bidding when the moment is right on these two:
I am telling you all this in good faith that you will NOT get excited or spiteful and try to outbid me.
Ruby ring #2 is a carrot smaller than #1, but I think #2 is clearer. We all have to make sacrifices.

For no good reason, I'm watching this gem:
It's way too big and out of my price range. Still, I wouldn't kick it out on a cold night.

Just so you don't think I am going gem-crazy, I am only planning on buying one ring, this month.
Does it become more interesting if I tell you that I am only interested in natural, as in not lab created, gems? And that my budget is $300??

After this post I am officially sick of the word "jewelry". It is neither comfortable to say or spell.

13 comments:

lisa said...

First, love the look of the metalic trees. Great solution/ decor in one.

Second, not that you necessarily asked for more suggestions, but another solution that has worked well for me is to use one of those plastic bead organizers--the ones that have about 30 small compartments--for earrings. Obviously this is not your most aesthetic solution, but it works great if kept in a drawer or on top of a dresser in your closet. The compartments make it easy to keep earrings separated (and even my biggest earrings fit in them), and if you have more than the compartments can hold, then group them by color. You could even add squares of felt to the bottoms for added padding if you so desire. This container also makes it very easy to travel with your jewelry.

As for necklaces, I found an over the door metal hanger that has a bunch of prongs that branch off of it (maybe for ties??) and I hang it over the door of our walk-in closet (since it's off our bathroom, the door is rarely closed and never seen by company so I don't mind that there is a little metal showing at the top of the door). You could easily make a nice looking hanger for necklaces out of vintage knobs screwed into a strip of wood. That's my 4 cents, sorry for the length!

Anonymous said...

I do believe that same dear Grandma likes to taunt her granddaughters with the above mentioned rubies... they are gorgeous!

Erica said...

I love the hint of manliness in the 2nd ring!

And Grandma never taunts me with jewels...

Rachel D said...

Not pretty either, but I attached small adhesive hooks to the inside of my bathroom cabinet door. Staggering the rows, I have a couple dozen hooks that can each hold several necklaces and/or necklace + earring sets. Though none of my necklaces are chunky - I don't think my chest is substantial enough to pull off heavy, dangling necklaces.

Alisha said...

Lisa, thanks for your good ideas. It's more work than I am willing to put in.

Erica! It's too late for big square blue!! I'm regretting missing it. And your name has come up for the rubies. I think you should just tell Grandma you're not interested. (or else...)

Rachel, I think chunky necklaces look better on small chests but it's more about your personality then build. But I'm sure you'll be wearing chunky necklaces in no time, if you know what i mean.

Now read my update to see that I'm not blowing big money on my shopping so you'll all still speak to me. hint: I love shopping feedback.

Carrie said...

i really like the aquamarine ones...i have actually been thinking of getting one similar.
i love the old school style with the big rock in the middle and the small diamonds on the side. so classy.

i'm not too big on the ruby and sapphire, i don't know, something about them (specifically the first two) remind me of a class ring.
i think i prefer gems that are more see-through.

Janalee said...

It's true - how do you decide which to wear? And don't they go out of fashion so quickly that you're always replacing replacing replacing? I don't know.

It never occurs to me to buy necklaces - suprise!- and once my cousin brought some by for me to try on because I was going somewhere special, they were big chunky ones, and it felt so awkward and there was no way I could pull it off. I actually feel silly wearing necklaces and most bracelets. I don't think they look silly on others but I'm so used to being bare that to wear it feels like I'm overdoing it.

I really like that last aquamarine ring. if you buy a ring, you'd better wear it more than twice or I'm going to be really upset.

Angie K. said...

I want the sunburst mirror above your bed. How can I find it. I have not seen one to equal its beauty ANYWHERE. I want that one. bad.

I'm being serious. How can I find it?

Judy Ethington said...

Yeah, well grandma was pulling your chain (pun intended)about the rubies. When I asked her about it and your conversations about them she finally admitted that no she couldn't will them to me to give to you because your aunt Jody had spoken for them. At least I think it was for them. She was also flashing a gigantuous ring with diamonds, sapphires and a big emerald and I might have gotten them mixed up.

Does any of the above count for a backhanded compliment?

Melissa Myers said...

What is the name of your paint color in your bedroom? It is fabulous...

Heather said...

Go for the big one at the end. If it is out of your price range, just don't buy another item of "jewelery" for a couple of months to make up for it.

That last one was by far the best.

Anonymous said...

I knew I spelled jewelry wrong! I hate that.

Unknown said...

very nice information....thank you for sharing the message....


http://theinfernalden.blogspot.in/2011/11/unfirm-cubic-oxide-dazzling-vesture-of.html