Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Now We're Baking!!



Dear Alisha,


Help!! my daughter's school is requesting that we provide a favorite recipe for a mother's day project, and I really don't cook. Can you provide me with a few that I can try and maybe submit.

Sincerely,
Now we're cooking!!


Dear Now We're Baking!! (because this is really a baking question),

Take a deep breath. I have just the recipe for you. You only need one and you will only get one. It it easy and everyone loves the familiar but just a little bit richer flavor. The chewy texture will make your daughter the hit of her class. Trust me.

Here goes:

Butterscotch Brownies
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2/3 cups butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 Tbl vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans (optional, but I strongly suggest)
1&1/2 cups butterscotch OR chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350
In a medium bowl, combine flour, powder, soda, salt and nuts.
In a large glass bowl, melt the butter. Add sugar and mix well. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture slowly. Mix well. Spread mixture into a 9X13 pan. Sprinkle butterscotch or chocolate chips on top. Bake for 20 minutes, until center is almost set and edges are golden. Cool before cutting.

Divine. Absolutely Divine.
You can thank me in the comment room.


What's that you say? The photo isn't very good? I should bake up a batch so I can re-shoot the brownies, giving them the honor they deserve? If I must. If they are not eaten first.

6 comments:

Rebecca Larsen said...

My VT brought these over to me after Isaac was born and... well I didn't eat just one. These are So good. I got her recipe (she's a recipe snob)after some doing. Actually, Bruce weaseled it out of her because she owed him a favor.

But look at you, you've probably known about this recipe for E-ons.

I am sure this will be the favorite of the cookbook. People will sing praises to you over this recipe.

Angie K. said...

So I have a question about this recipe. I have made it twice and each time when I take it out I test it with a toothpick in the center and the toothpick comes out super runny. The first time I thought "I'll just let these cool, I am sure they will set up." But after my sister-in-law cut into them they were ooey-gooey still -so I stuck them back into the oven until they were cooked through, almost another 20-30 minutes. Same thing happened the second time, in a different oven. So tell me, are they supposed to be super gooey? Do they have to be pretty much cold before they set up? Help.

Alisha said...

My baking time of 20 minutes has been consistent. I do use a dark pan however, and that quickens the cooking time. Also, I think my oven runs slightly hot. You may need 25 minutes but not much more than that. When I take mine out of the oven the top is lightly browned but the center is not fully set. They cool to chewy, not runny.

I have savory confession. I like these with extra salt. A full teaspoon instead of a half. I know, so unhealthy. Like they were healthy in the first place.

Anonymous said...

I followed your recipe to the T, and it was so goood!!
One recipe was all I need! I'm pretty bad at following recipes, if I did too much of whatever, I then double everything, and nothing turns out. I submitted the recipe and felt really good about myself. Thank you so much!!

Lien

Alisha said...

Thanks for letting me know Lien. I like a satisfied customer.

Stewart family said...

Just made these this weekend. They were amazing and my family LOVED them. It was such a nice change from a regular brownie. Thanks for the recipe.