Monday, May 24, 2010

Awkward Family Photo

People tell me I am photogenic.

Dear Alisha,

How can I look better in my pictures?

In 99.9% of the pictures I'm in, I hate the way I look. I hide behind my camera clicking away at my children so often that there's little proof I do anything with them. I never ask strangers to take our picture.

Though it seems like Justin's the lead photographer in your family, surely you have some tips. (Or ask him and claim them as your own. We'll never know.) Your photos are beautiful. And even when you try to look laughable, you're usually not that bad (see Reluctant Gardener).

Sincerely,

Awkward Family Photo

Dear Awkward ,

I am not an expert photographer in any way, but I
do like looking at flattering photos of myself. (What? I'll admit it. Who doesn't?) For times sake I will focus just on you getting your picture taken, and not necessarily a posed group photo session. To avoid making any new enemies, I will only use photos of myself, for better or worse, to illustrate. You've been warned. Here is what I have come up with:

1. Take lots and lots of photos. In our digital age, there is no need to be sparing when trying to capture a flattering shot. If you want one good shot, take 50, quickly with a variety of subtle head turns and angles. With out exaggeration, there have been many times when Justin has snapped shot after unflattering shot of me and in the end there is one precious gem that cuts through the muck and is an acceptably flattering photo.


I get a lot of shots like this one, above. But take enough photos and there may be one decent like this shot below. Then that is the only photo I will show the world, unless of course there is a chance I can get a laugh out of a bad photo.



2. Figure out how to hold your face to play up your best features and to minimize your problem areas. Let me explain by telling you what can go wrong in a photo with my own face. My face can look round or heavy, my chin can disappear, and my nose can stick out (no! really!). So I make sure to project my chin/jaw forward without lifting my face up. You will feel a little silly doing this but it really works. I tilt my head down slightly so that you focus on my eyes rather than looking up my nose. I pull my nose back. I can only tell you how to do this by saying it is the opposite of sticking your nose out and flaring your nostrils. (See top, goofy photo)

I
do lift my eyebrows just a little bit, it opens up my eyes. Imagine your whole face and neck being pulled up on a string. I do give a natural but not crazy smile, anything else looks too planned. Some people need to beware of over smiling which can make your eyes squint or show too much gums.

Almost everyone prefers photos of themselves taken at a 3/4 face angle rather than straight on. Unless you have a perfectly symmetrical face, that is, and pretty much nobody does.

Seeing how I was 8 months pregnant here, I had no choice but to give the camera a 3/4th's face turn and open my mouth slightly.

You probably have different face issues than me. I recommend practicing. Yes this sounds vain and it is. But you need to learn what angles work better, whether to slightly tilt your chin down (like most people), how to "smile with your eyes" (I hate that phrase!) or which side is your "good side". Practice in the mirror for a few indulgent minutes then study which pictures of yourself do and do not work and why.

I think I have made this sound harder than it is, but once you get it, you're set for life.


Justin was thrilled when he captured this photo of me practicing my "mirror face" or posing, as if I should be embarrassed.
But here is the alternative....
So cute! Jana asked me to take this photo, so blame her. Note that I am thrusting down my neck muscles, the opposite of what I recommend, and just see the results.

3. Too much makeup. You know your friend that wears way too much make-up and looks cakey and terrible in real life? (If you're shaking your head no, then that friend is probably you.) Then you see that same friend in a photo and you are surprised at how good she looks? Make-up gets washed out in photos. I think you need to wear a little extra makeup for a photography session. I do NOT recommend this for every day life because you live in everyday life and we all have to look at you. But for photos put on some extra eyeliner and shadow, blush for contouring, and for heavens sake do not forget lip gloss.

4. Lighting is key. I haven't mastered it. Here's what I do know: flashes generally are not very flattering. Never let yourself be lite from underneath. ((shudder)) On America's Next Top Model they always say "find your light", which means see where the light is coming from and take a second to put yourself where it will hit a good part of your face. Really harsh lighting, like noon day sun, is terrible. The best time of day for outdoor lighting is "the magic hour", that's when the sun has just started to go down and the light is warm but not direct. It is hard to catch but that lighting is gold.


Don't I look natural here? Wrong! I have a ton of makeup on. I am sitting next to a window for the light -oldest trick in the book.

Lastly, when a magazine takes pictures of an overweight woman they want to make look glamorous, they take the picture above her with her looking up, she has a massive amount of makeup on, and her mouth is open to elongate her face. Just saying.

Do any of you have tips to share?
Can any one "shed some light" on how to set yourself up with flattering lighting?

10 comments:

Angie K. said...

Priceless advice. I can't believe you are giving all your secrets away. The results are magnificent! I still get so jealous when I see the yearly Garrity family photo. So perfect.

Carrie said...

are those false lashes in the last photo?

Rebecca said...

When it comes to family photos I am just happy to get the kids all looking at the camera at the same time(if that is the intent). Those kids pull the darndest faces.

As for a good photo of me, that is harder to achieve. I thought all I had to do was suck in my tummy and not blink but apparently that is NOT enough. There are definitely better angles and lighting especially as I am getting older and have more to hide. In a full body shot I do prefer to put my hands on my hips to make my upper arms look less "beefy."

Alisha said...

Yes Carrie! And I think it's obvious because on my left eye (your right), the lash is coming loose. What can I say, if was after a hectic day as Sunbeam teacher.

Justin Garrity said...

The last photo in this post is stunning. Alisha is remarkably beautiful. I feel so lucky to be married to her. At the same time, I LOVE her awkward photos and I cherish every one of them.

Janalee said...

I remember, just this summer, watching you get your makeup on and you pulling that face. I thought it was an unusual mirror face. like you flare one nostril and tighten the corner of your lip.

"one precious gem that cuts through the muck" - haha.

My profile and facebook pic, I had Abbey take like 20 shots in a row while I did exactly that, turning and twisting and posing. All but one looked ridiculous.

I still don't get how you pull your nose back.

on the other hand, in some pictures - usually those with flash - the girls with too much face makeup, it shows in the form of a pale-white ghosty face stuck on a normal skinned neck.

I've noticed I look best in the mirror by our front door when it's open. side lighting. Also I think there is something creamy and magical about north lighting. All the pics I take in my LR, front porch and garage look better than others taken elsewhere.

That last pic of you, while very pretty, doesn't look like your personality - too innocent and sweet. We all know better.

And finally, I feel like a just thoroughly answered an email from you.

Angie K. said...

Hey I can't get your "were not twins" page to load. Is something wrong?

iknowjewels said...

I think we need the post of SOME of our awkward family photos:

The Thanksgiving photos with brooke (chins overly pointing up)

The revert back to family photo (with alisha post partum trevor)

And who could ever forget the mother of all awkward photos: 7th grade Alisha, glasses,braces and banges.

Sometimes is the awkawardness that is classic!

Pinocchio said...

In which picture doesn't your nose stick out?

Rachel D said...

Dear Alisha,

Are you mad at us for not leaving enough comments?

We miss you. Come back.