Saturday, May 29, 2010

We're Not Twins

from Awkwardfamilyphotos.com
Dear Alisha,

What's the right thing to do when two friends like the same piece of clothing, such as a dress? What if a friend posts a picture of a dress on her blog and I like it? Should I ask if she plans to buy it and only go forward if she doesn't? What if I like a dress but need to save money before I can afford it? Is there a way to call dibs? Or is that tacky? Advice, please.

Sincerely,
We're Not Twins


Dear WNT,

With most things in life, if you sit around waiting to see who will claim the prize and who's feathers you might ruffle, you'll miss out. If you and a friend like the same dress, buy the dress! There is a chance that she was just admiring the dress and will back out, leaving you the victor. But even if she buys the same dress herself, what's the big deal? I am sure you both look different in your dresses, you do not share all of the same friends, and you are grown women who do not need to worry about such trivial things as being a copy cat.

If you are feeling especially nice you and you know she likes the dress and you aren't shopping together, (if, if, if) you might say something like "I love that blue denim jumper from Wal-mart too, and I was planning on ordering it".

About calling dibs, I don't know if it can officially be done. You might want to praise the dress and then say how you plan on buying it when you can afford it so as to deter any other potential buyers. Just don't be offended if they show up in the dress first [see first sentence]. "Oh that leopard print maxi-dress is to die for! Just so you all know, I am going to buy it just as soon as I get my settlement!"

On a personal note, I have the same pieces of clothing as a number of my friends, but none so much as with Angie. Here's how it happened: I would wear a new article of clothing around Angie, she would compliment me on it, ask lots of questions about it, and then a week later she would show up wearing the same thing. Despite being taller than me, Angie is also 2 sizes smaller. Still, I was never offended or minded. In fact I was flattered that I made the clothes look so appealing.

The way we were.*

*One more note, I would eat off Angie's plate and sample her food. If you can't eat from the spoon of your obsessive compulsive-dental hygienist-best friend, who can you share spoons with?

7 comments:

Janalee said...

dying over "the way we were"

Rebecca said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with owning the same dress, but if I see this person at church every week it would feel a little awkward. Of course, we could joke about it but one of us is going to be thinking "How dare she look better in MY dress!" I would error on the safe side and call dibs, discuss before purchasing or at least coordinate so as not to wear it on the same Sunday. For other clothing I wouldn't worry about it but I usually only wear my dresses to church.

Janalee said...

there's your next blog post. "Would/Do you eat off same silverware/cups as certain people? What are your requirements before you'll agree that germs can be shared?" but jazz it up.

Rebecca said...

Karina and I showed up wearing the SAME dress with the SAME sweater at the sealing of our niece in St George coupla weeks ago. (I walked in at the very last second after everyone had undoubtedly complimented her on the dress..)

The ironic thing is, we both don't like the dress- in fact, she told me she had a dress to give me a few months ago & I told her the same thing-- Oh, I have one for you, too! Turned out we were talking about the same dress.

But it was SO funny to pretend like we were the REAL bridesmaids, fattish and married instead of the cute young things dangling off the bride in their matching noisy taffeta browns. (The colors are black and white! NOT pink and brown...)


Yes, do talk about germs and sharing. Would you share the same spoon with someone you barely knew who offers you a taste?

Rebecca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie K. said...

I knew this post would have a featurette of me. Of course I was guilty but I couldn't help myself.

Alisha was a fabulous friend for many reasons but one thing I loved about her is that she could look amazing without spending tons of money. So yeah, when she would show up in a new pink wrap top from the Gap and exclaim "its on sale right now for 40% off " I would hop at the chance to get my own, only I might buy the blue one instead (might). I am so guilty. The best part was that we attended totally different wards and I could copy without worrying we might meet up wearing the same thing. It was a great set up for me. Thanks Alish!

Angie K. said...

So funny I just realized in my last email to you I asked you where you got your starburst mirror in your bedroom so I could copy it. After all, who in Idaho would ever know. HA HA!

Lucky for you I found a different mirror just this last weekend that has satisfied my starburst mirror desire.

So we're not twins.