Friday, July 9, 2010

The Day After the Party

I have a stack of questions that need answering, some pressing, but I don't feel like answering any of them. I've got that "day after the party feeling". You see a few days ago I had a luncheon with important guests. I had to not only prepare the food and table, but also have my entire house presentable. All the preparations, cleaning, flower arranging, shopping, ironing, and baking kept me busy and motivated for days.

The lunch went well, I'd call it a success. But now, I have no motivation. Why should I make my bed and clean up the toys? No one is going to see it. What's the point in having my summer drapes freshly hung if no one stopping by will notice? I don't need to be shopping for new summer table linens, again, who will be there to appreciate them? There are no menus to plan and baking is definitely out of the question. (diet.) If happiness is having something to look forward to, than that explains it all. In short, the day after the party feeling is a case of the blahs.

In an effort to cheer myself up a little bit, here are a few pictures from the lunch party. Note: they are not the best pictures. When you are the (hurried) host and your husband has (kindly) taken the boys to the beach, that leaves little time to pause and take photos.


The Table.

A place setting. My silver pattern is "Melrose", in case you want to buy me a shiny present.

The important guests. In order of importance, (kidding, clockwise): cousin Becky, my Grandma that you've all heard about, Aunt Bethanne, Aunt Gayle, friend Jan, and my Mom, Judy-tunes.

Here's the great and scary thing about my Grandma E.-she notices everything. She takes in and notes every detail of your house, appearance, food, you name it. She has what we in the biz call "a good eye". This might make you nervous, thinking that she's re-hanging your drapes in her head or questioning your choice of artwork. And if it needs improving, she probably is thinking it. She's usually right and she freely shares her opinions. What's so great about this is that none of your efforts are wasted. And just like the praise from a critic, it means so much more. This also gets most of us scurrying before her arrival. For example, my cousin frantically bought new furniture in anticipation. I like that kind of pressure, it gets me moving. Maybe she's softening with age, but pretty much everything she has to say is flattering. Also, it's not like the rest of you will notice that I polished the butter dish before placing it on the table.



It wasn't till we were half-way through dessert that someone said "we should take a picture of this" and I slapped myself because it was an attractive menu. Here's what I served and try to act surprised if I have you over for lunch and serve the same to you in the near future, should you be so lucky:

Chilled Watermelon and Ginger Soup
Salmon Salad Nicoise
, with lime-aide and bread
Pavlova with fresh berries
and flowers


Don't you like how I balanced feminine and masculine with this arrangement? Kidding. I can't tell you how much I love these flowers. Besides the lavender horn that I knew I should have pulled out but couldn't make myself do, this is one of my all-time flower arrangements. It's even better in person because the hydrangeas were more blue than purple and the smell. Oh the smell. The flowers came almost entirely from my friend Audrey's garden. She came to my rescue at just the right moment.

This post did cheer me up a little bit. Just so you know, this happens after most parties are over and cherished guests leave. The feeling of being lost afterwards, what now? I'll make do by throwing a few small lunches this summer. They will be more practical, my guests won't comment much or discuss dish patterns with me, and they certainly won't return the favor and have me over to lunch later, but I'll enjoy it.

11 comments:

Rachel D said...

We're such different people. After the party is when I finally shed the stress of things - usually with a few tears - and eat too many leftover desserts to take off the edge. If I were a wine drinker, this is when I'd pour a glass. But alas, I just down an extra brownie or tartlet or two.

On a more cheery note, the flowers are beautiful. Blue hydrangeas are a sentimental favorite from my childhood. My dream kitchen would be updated farmhouse-style in country white with blue hydrangea accents.

Auntie M said...

It's okay to relax Alisha dear.. You have been taught well, and be thankful for that. It's hard to do nice fun things like that without the training and support from your family ( yeah Justin!) It looked lovely. The flowers are my favorite, and everything is my favorite decorating style. I wish I had the ability and means to do what you do.Keep it up!! Love You!

Anonymous said...

Alisha, Alisha - hats off to you. i loved everything. We are building a home and now you have given me decor insight for my kitchen. I was tossing between Nantucket and old farm style. I'm going with cottage nantucket. The flowers were beautiful. The menu, what a treat. I'd invite you over anyday. Thumbs up!! Now, do shopping for something special for yourself, a reward for a job well done.

Chelsea said...

Be-A-u-tiful. That flower arrangement is perfection and I love that small blue-green plate in one of the pictures.

I promise to have you over for lunch someday soon....I need an excuse to finish some projects.

Melissa Myers said...

That pavlova is gorgeous. I want to serve it at my baby girl's blessing luncheon. Does it work to make it the day before and add the cream and berries right before serving it? Oo, my guests will be so impressed...

Carrie said...

so pretty.
maybe too pretty for me, but i love it! all the little details - i love the little vases by each plate. also i like all the white, it keeps it from being too busy and makes the flowers really stand out.
and i've seen those plates somewhere, i wanna say macy's but i'm not sure.
and i like how the chairs are all similar, but not the same (at least the two i can see on the left), i love that kind of detail and un-uniformity.
anyway, it looks great, good job.

cousin Becky said...

I like the order of importance part, no need to say you're kidding. Lucky me to be invited to one of Alisha's soirees! I'll be happy to be the errand girl anytime :-)

Seriously Alisha, I don't know how you do it. I know you don't half-do anything, but wow, you really out-did yourself this time.

You do understand why people don't return the favor and invite you over in return, don't you? Well, I'd be willing it's cuz it might seem a little overwhelming for those of us for whom a luncheon means egg salad sandwiches.

Angie K. said...

SO beautiful. What a treat for your special ladies. I would love to meet your Grandma Ethington, she sounds nothing like my grandmothers, they get impressed even by me!

I wish you were close enough to come to my house for lunch, how I long for some good Alisha time..nothing like it in the whole world. You bring a bit of fabulous into the dull parts of life, life family luncheons ;)

iknowjewels said...

Alisha,

While my details are not precise as your party planning (hats off), I do have the post party feelings afterwards! Its also paired with the oh- no the dishes, feelings.
Post party depression.

But, nothing quite is like a ladies lunch! I love the hydrangeas (in my wedding bouquet) and the stem of Lavendar. It makes the other stocks not look kitchy.

Looks like a memorable party!

Kat van L said...

So this is the party I've heard about for the past couple of weeks!

I can tell you that some "important guests" loved what you made so much that they might have spent time at my house recreating it. AND I have to say that the dessert and soup were fantastic even sans some candied pansies, flowers and table linens (at least to me).

I'm with Becky when I say that, reciprocity might not be in kind- but I'll add to that. I don't think we can invite Grandma over either for similar reasons. You've spoiled her! For that matter my mother might make that list too.

Maybe I can just hit you up for a to-do list before they come. Would that help keep the post-party blues away?

PS I might be headed out there in a few months to visit one of my best friends that's moving to Beaverton. We should meet up it's been ages!

Judy Ethington said...

That pavlova was heaven. All the way down my gullet! It was a gorgeous, sumptuous luncheon, in both the culinary and decor departments. I know because you told me that you would like to do this with the Packard side of the family, too. We just have to get them there!