Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Flower Thief

"The best things in life are free"

Dear Alisha,

A friend brought me the most beautiful flowers for my birthday…then told me she’d stolen them from a stranger’s yard.

Should I be flattered that my friend went to such great length to find my favorite flowers? Or should I be appalled that my friend is a thief?


To make matters worse, when I found out the flowers had been stolen, I made no effort to rid myself of the tainted goods. I still loved them and proudly displayed them in my entry. Should I feel guilty for NOT feeling guilty? Are my friend and I both conscienceless scums?

Sincerely,
Friend of a Flower Thief


Wild on the side of road, that's where these lush sweet peas can be found. Can you believe other people don't stop and pick them?


Dear (Lucky) Friend of a Flower Thief,

As I already told you, the stranger wasn't taking care of his yard at all! His neighbors said he probably wouldn't even notice if I picked ALL his roses, and I just helped myself to a modest portion of them.
Feeling guilty won't bring him his roses back, now will they? Enjoy them. Be flattered.

Obviously, this question is directed towards me.

Readers, this is my not-well-kept secret. I've been helping myself to flowers around town. I will try to defend myself, but know that my only shame is in getting caught.

I really, really love fresh flowers. It seems like such a waste to buy inferior flowers at a grocery store when there are lovely flowers rotting away in someones yard or growing on the side of the road. Homegrown flowers just look and smell better anyways.

It's true, I took roses out of a strangers yard for a friends birthday recently. In my defense, my teenage babysitter lived down his street and, upon my repeated asking, said that he didn't take care of his yard, the association watered it, and he would probably care less if I took his roses. So I cut back all his dead roses, scooped up the remains, scratching my hands in the process, hauled away the debris, and for my service I took but a large bunch of roses. I knocked on his door before I did it. He wasn't home (calculated on my part), and I brazenly parked in his driveway.

My husband wishes it had stopped there, but I needed hydrangeas. Both the lady living behind us had some (I asked first, sort of), and the neighbors down the street (our yard maintenance crew was trimming their bushes already), had ripe bushes. Sweet peas growing on the side of the road are free game in my mind, even if they are right next to a well tended yard. Once your personal barriers are lifted, the whole city is ripe for the picking.

You wouldn't believe how many flower opportunities there are around here! Even in the lousy Winco parking lot, there are bushes overgrown with white and yellow blooms. "They're for the public to enjoy", I told myself. But as I cased, I mean, drove through the parking lot last night, snips handy, I noticed they were turning brown and no one had even had a chance to enjoy them! They would have been better off with me.

So you don't think I'm unethical, I have set up rules for myself: No taking flowers from cared for gardens or parks. Don't get greedy. That's about all my rules.

It's true I now keep garden snips at the ready in the center console of my car. You never know when the perfect opportunity will preset itself. I am always looking for my next mark. "I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime."

Those of you with gardens could help me out. You could put an end to my crime spree by offering your unused flowers to me. I plan on paying back all those who have given me flowers, wittingly or not, with dahlias I've been growing this fall. Gorgeous, lush, rich colored dahlias.


Are we? Are we conscienceless scums?



These are every where. They look a little more wild, but oh so summery.


All these cost me were my dignity.

*Let's try this again: Those of you with gardens could help me out. I thought my comment room would be brimming with offers from garden owners to come pick of their blooms.


12 comments:

Your favorite Aunt! said...

More power to ya!! It sounds like someone needs to pay you for triming and cleaning up their flower gardens!! I would recomend (as it sounds like you tried) to ask first where the opportunity is appropriate!! I wish Beautiful flowers grew so plentiful like that around here! They burn up too fast!

Angie K. said...

Yeah, no way is there spontaneous sweet peas growing here in Idaho. Your little trimmers would cut you some tumbleweeds or babysbreath here in Idaho, thats as pretty as it gets.

However I found a gorgeous hydrangea plant early this summer at Lowes and I couldn't resist buying it, they remind me so much of Oregon. I found the most ideal spot for it in my back yard with all-day shade. I hope it continues to grow and stay alive. If so, I'll bring you some clippings next time we come to Oregon. Betcha can't wait ;)-said like Sarah P.

Robin said...

Oh, boy. There's an bountiful place for spring flowers. It's a huge abandoned trailer park, sans trailers. Just past 209th and Baseline, on Baseline. Someone busted the chain across the entrance a long time ago and you can just drive right up to any old concrete slab and take your, ahem, pick.

(I cased the joint two days ago looking for summer stuff and now it's all weedy and overgrown - hiding the promises of spring).

Alisha said...

Robin, that is exactly the kind of information I'm after. You've earned yourself some fall dahlias.

Angie, don't forget that hydrangeas still need some sun. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like somebody needs to talk to her bishop!

-Just Kidding

iknowjewels said...

Wow, clepto alisha!

I would probably leave some cash at the house where people lived and didn't care for their flowers, just a couple bucks and maybe a note: thanks for the flowers.

Anonymous said...

Dear Alisha,
I notice how everyone seems to think "stealing" flowers is inappropriate behaviour. May i try to convince the individuals that think it is to look at it another way?
Flowers are a renewable resource. If you pick a flower, there is always another to replace it. Flowers are everywhere and not protected by hightech security alarms or laws prohibiting the picking of said flowers. If someone has flowers planted in their front yard, is this not their way of saying "stop and smell the roses on the way"? Do you get upset if someone has managed to pluck a few flowers from your garden? You shouldn't....you're helping the world become a better place by spreading the beauty with which nature has provided us. Think of this also....you're simply pruning, and you're pruning for free. You're helping someone with their gardening without asking for anything in return.

PICK FLOWERS!

Anonymous said...

Alisha, are u the anonymous writer with the comment above. if so, LOL

Anonymous said...

avoid the appearance of evil.


stealing flowers, renewable or not, appears to be a selfish act on your part. and by your own admittance, is usually done out of your own selfish desire to enjoy them in your own home or as a gift to a friend.

Barrack Obama said...

If they have more than you think they need...I say take em and spread the wealth around. That's my philosophy!

Judy Ethington said...

You were the same as a kid! Your reasoning/justifying is so much better now, though. Perhaps Iknowjewels has a really good idea. Or you could trade flowers for a small plate/box of your fabulous bakery goods. Then pay attention to see if your favorite yards sprout NO TRESSPASSING signs. Or not!

Mandee said...

LOL! Oh my gosh, my mom does the same thing! Love it.