Monday, July 19, 2010

Excessive Behavior


Ten years ago I graduated college, moved to Oregon, had no kids, and found myself spending a long, long time gazing at nail polish in my local grocery store. It was fall and I was picking out what would be my new winter red. I didn't want it to be as brown as last year's, maybe a little more deep and rich looking, I told myself. I gazed at hundreds of bottles, sampled the contenders on my fingernails, debated some more, and then finally bought my bottle. I went home, pulled out my nail supply box, and realized I had bought the exact same nail polish the previous fall. Exact. And the year before that too. I had 3 bottles of the exact same shade and brand of nail polish. Each time I purchased it I thought I was changing things up a bit and had no memory of previously buying that same color. This was the first time I realized I have buying habits. I'm drawn towards the same kind of thing over and over again.

[On a complete side note, this is my new favorite brand of nail polish. Sally Hansen complete salon manicure. It comes on so smooth and quick and dries fast but doesn't dry out my nails. It's worth the extra $3 in price.]

I know I'm not alone in this, repeat purchases. Middle-aged women love to buy capri pants. Men in their 30's love buying chords to attach their electronics. Teenagers buy loads of flip-flops. Everyone has something. At the end of all this you can tell me what you over-buy.

Rather than just being excessive, I think it's more about buying habits than hoarding or materialism. Here is a sampling of what I have caught myself over buying and what I was thinking to justify the excess:



1. Good smelling natural cleaners. It started a few years ago with Method's Pink Grapefruit All Purpose Cleaner. I realized that 1) I don't want all the unnecessary chemicals in my house from regular cleaners, and 2) good smelling sprays made cleaning enjoyable. When you're all done, your house smells good rather than like harsh chemicals. There use to be only a few natural cleaners to chose from, so I'd pay attention to each new one and purchase it. Now there are plenty of choices but I still pay can't help from stopping to smell them all.
This smell will inspire me to clean. Good packaging on the bottle adds to the appeal as well. I don't know how any of you using the giant jug of Costco-generic cleaners have a clean house. The cleaner is just so unappealing! I don't even want to touch it!

Because this could be a whole post on it's own, I'll just focus on all-purpose natural cleaners, leaving out hand soaps or toilet cleaners. We have to draw a line somewhere. In short, I haven't found a natural toilet bowl or dishwasher cleaner that works very well.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to give you a quick run down on natural cleaners I have tried. From left to right (if this doesn't interest you, you have my permission to skip to #2):


- Method wood floor cleaner, pretty good if I bother to use it. I do like method products enough that I have finished off a couple of bottles already.
- Biokleen all purpose, really mild, can't smell it at all.
- Meyer's clean day products- very,very fragrant. I recommend their counter top cleaner or others if you like your house scented. The multi-colored first bottle you see, "baby blossom" is my favorite for cleaning our baby's room. On the other hand I bought "lemon verbena" counter top spray and loved it to death, thought it smelt green and herby and citrusy till one day it hit me wrong and smelt like green rot. Don't worry Jana, I didn't throw it out. I gave it to my neighbor.
-Green Works, from Johnson and Johnson. Who knows how green it really is, but it works. I really like the glass and surface spray as it does not contain ammonia, which I hate.


-Caldrea cleaners, now available at Target. These are my new favorite scents. I LOVE the "citron ginger" mix with grapefruit and basil. I bought the "herbs of Provence" for a friend but kept it for myself.
-J.R. Watkins natural home care- I like all their products and packaging. Cheapest price is at Target.
-Seventh Generation- they are a good company. I like some of their products better than others. I enjoy their lavender floral & mint dish soap, but my socks stay on for their bathroom cleaner.

Enough about that. Moving on..



2. Silver/grey shoes. I've known this for a little while, but didn't realize how bad it had become till I lined them all up for a picture last spring. Here's what I was thinking "I want a shoe that goes with almost everything, but not black again.... something lighter, something newer.. hey how about a metallic?! Silver! I'm a silver person. Yes, this will be the the shoe that freshens my whole wardrobe. This will be a work horse of a shoe." Ten pairs later, I can't say that any of these were my go-to shoe of the season. I'm learning. My hands reached for a silver sandal just this past month, but I caught myself and walked away with my head held high.




3. Flowers. This is more of a summer time excess, and I think this is my worst (or best) year. I just love fresh flowers. They elevate the space they occupy. I feel so indulgent having a lush bunch of them. They provide motivation for keeping my house clean. Since they expire quickly, there should be no problem with excess, right? Only sometimes I buy more than I need to, claiming I will give a large portion of them away to friends and people I owe. Then I bring them into my house and I love them so much I can barely stand not to hoard them all for myself.

I arranged 4 bouquets to give away, but rest assured 4 bouquets did not make it out of the house. I need one for my kitchen table of course. And what's a dining room without flowers in it? A couple of blooms on my night stand would look romantic... If you have received nice looking flowers from me, realize the sacrifice and self-control that went in to your delivery.

There's another side to this flower excess, a seedy, shameful side. But that's too much for today so I'll try to take it on tomorrow. You've been warned.

I know it's not just me that does this.
I bet most of you have buying habits that lead to more than you need.


What do you have excessive amounts of??
It feels good to get it off your chest.

25 comments:

Emily said...

I have an on-going inventory in my head for most things, so truth be told, I don't buy anything in excess. My excessive behavior is that I am an organizing lover, nerd, geek, whatever you want to call it. Time to sign off, I remember there being a few things out of place under my bathroom sink.

Rachel D said...

I wish I had your habit, Emily.

I have a blog dedicated to my excessive behavior. 229 spools of ribbon. I won't count the paper. At least I'm to the point where I only spend as much as I make and don't buy anything out of the family budget unless it's for a project like shower invitations or birth announcements.

Chris P. said...

Ooooohhhhh, it's books. Books and books and books and books. Doesn't matter that I have shelves of them that I haven't read yet. I cross the threshold of a bookstore and I'm a goner...

Jeni said...

When we moved I realized the excess that my husband and I both had. Three boxes of comic books were his, mine were shoes, a suitcase and over sized box.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I buy anything in excess. In fact I think I only have 10 pairs of shoes. This is something I would like to change though.

Anonymous said...

I love buying coats, even when its 110 degrees out here in AZ, I see a nice one, I buy it. I probably average 4 a year. Most of them get hang nicely in the garment bag. I still regret not buying this one coat two years ago, it was a short pink trench from BCBG, not that I didn't get one, I just got it in the camel color. I think it has to do with me having only one coat for quite a while. It was red, I call it my little red riding hood coat.

I also use the method pink grapefruit cleaners also! I didn't really like the hardwood cleaner, for hardwood floors, my insurance agent told me to use 1/3 cup vinegar and 2/3 cup water. And it's worked really well for my hardwood floors, once in awhile I use Bona hardwood floor cleaners, it doesn't have that toxic smell and doesn't leave that filmy look, and not slippery.

Lien

Your favorite Aunt said...

I don't often over rebuy the same things I'm pretty good at keeping a mental inventory too. Althought nail polish color is one thing that is hard to remember sometimes, especially if you don't use it enough. Once I took a piece of white card board and panted each color I had on it and kept it in my purse so I could compare when I was at the store!

Lately I've noticed me buying alot of similar color shirts and shorts for my two 3yr olds, I buy alot on clearence a season ahead and put it away, I've been forgeting (and not checking) what I've already boughten so I see something cute and a great price and grab it! Only to find later that I had already bought a similar item. I think my Rachael had about 5 turquois shirts for spring/summer!

My husbands problem is tools, they are so disorganized that he can't find one so he goes and buys another. (he gets this habit from his Dad!) It's very irritating!

I would think that if you were using the products more than you'ld remember that you had already bought them? Just a thought!

Barrack, Harry, and Nancy said...

Your money.

Jan Brewer said...

Illegals.

Robin said...

Alisha ... if those are your silver shoes, I was wondering how many pairs of shoes you own all together.

To answer your question: food.

Robin said...

Alisha ... if those are your silver shoes, I was wondering how many pairs of shoes you own all together.

To answer your question: food.

Robin said...

Alisha ... if those are your silver shoes, I was wondering how many pairs of shoes you own all together.

To answer your question: food.

Angie K. said...

Alish, I remember you telling me about your unfortunate always-buy-the-same-nail-polish predicament about 4 years ago. I am so sorry to hear it is still happening.

I have a pair of silver and gold peep-toe stilettos you gave to me just before we moved away. I always get tons of compliments when I wear them (thank goodness because they cause me tons of pain). I just realized they were probably a pair you bought, without realizing you already had a similar shoe to fill that "shoe role" and thankfully you gave them to me. They would fit into your shoe picture perfectly.

Things I have too much of: perfume, cake-plates, long lasting lip stain colors, and t-shirts.

Anonymous said...

Confidence.

iknowjewels said...

Aunt Cindy- that is a great idea with the color wheel.

And my guilty secrets of rebuying are: books (we have a library) and makeup/skin products. The makeup is no secret. I feel it is the perfect accessory to any look and often put it at a higher priority than clothing! (you may roll your eyes at this point). Infact, I buy multiples of my favorite mascara (in which I constantly get accused of having false eyelashes) to have around, just incase.

Janalee said...

I smelled some of the Meyers yesterday and it does smell goooood! But I wasn't willing to fork over for it just yet. But I will when I need some.

my things,are eye shadow. I do how you do, I think.."I need some purple,silver eye shadow" and I deliberate until I pick the perfect one and come home and there are two almost identical shades already there, that I'd recently bought.

And picture frames. I buy them and rarely hang them. They just rot in my closet. Along with all the unprinted pics for my wall rotting on my hard drive.

Love all those pretty silver shoes, just please tell me you wear them all. and no more! for heaven's sake.

Flowers - that's something I've NEVER purchased in all my life. Can you believe that? They're pretty, but not what I want to spend my money on. But they are beautiful in your house.

Rebecca Larsen said...

Gracious me, do you rob flowers off the cemetery as well? "They're dead, they won't know any difference!"

I picked a GORGEOUS bouquet off a mountain and on the way down I got chewed out by an avid hiker who gave me the whole lecture (as I walked away, who needs to fight with a stranger?)"What if everyone picked the flowers, can't you read the signs, blah blah."

Now I just plant and cut my own favorite flowers, but guess what? I hate cutting them out of my garden! It ruins the color splashes around the outside of my house. Waiting for the peonies to bloom again and the hydrangeas should be out ANY Day. I planted lots of shrubs to take cuttings of, but It's the flowers I need to keep planting.

And if anyone came and cut my precious flowers without asking I'd turn into catwoman on them.

Rebecca said...

Oh...I think my comment belongs on the first post way up there.

I'm sorry I forgot to answer what I repeat buy. "I can't keep the posts straight!"

1.Fabric
2.Food storage stuff (does that even count?)
3.plants


I really hate buying stuff and figuring out where to put it so it looks nice. I hate hoarders so I constantly throw out or donate my repeat stuff.

Judy Ethington said...

I also buy the same colors of polish, maybe it's a genetic disorder. Other overbuying happens with my current hobbies. Like roses (52 to take care of at one time), scrapbook supplies, picnic baskets (but I use them!) books, and pastel peachy pink/orange blouses and tops. Always looking for the perfect one. Or two just in case. Or long sleeved. Or 3/4 sleeved. Knit, woven, emroidered, fitting, loose, etc, etc, etc. I own 11. Then I can't decide which one to wear.

Mandee said...

If I had money I would buy excessive amounts of clothing, lip gloss, products to make cleaning/organizing more efficient and exciting, and As Seen On TV stuff!

Anonymous said...

just fantastic site
http://ellipsisworks.com/?q=content/discover-easy-complementaire-sante-solutions
http://backtier.com/index.php?do=/blog/61642/adding-important-info-on-assurance-santé/
http://dummycrats.com/node/76931/

Anonymous said...

awesome hubpages net
http://www.towasal.com/index.php?do=/blog/60008/simplifying-straightforward-comparatif-mutuelle-tricks/
http://dev.cupcakecarnival.net/node/273522/
http://www.kluskap.com/?q=node/91596/

Anonymous said...

read this article blogs so that you booklet work
http://speakingpartners.com/groups/face-painter-by-the-top-ways/
http://bminl.cafe24.com/wiki/index.php?title=User:GracieBos
http://colinasdelabahia.com/?q=node/480807/
http://socialcomputing.trojanifsc.net/wiki_spring2012/DonniectBensonig
http://www.cafulcurasc.com.ar/oxwall/link/158786

Anonymous said...

Οh mу goοdnеsѕ!
Incгedible articlе duԁе! Thanκ you so muсh, Howeѵeг I аm encоuntегing іѕsues ωіth yοur RSS.
I don't understand why I cannot subscribe to it. Is there anyone else having the same RSS problems? Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

my blog post :: reputation management

Anonymous said...

Asking queѕtіons are really gooԁ thing if уou are
not unԁeгstanding something cоmpletely, but this post preѕents
gоod understanding eѵen.

Аlso vіsit my site lloyd irvin