Sunday, December 27, 2009

No More Paper Plates


Dear Alisha,
When I married, I did not register for any serving dishes, china, table linens, etc. Young and penniless, I needed a can opener and a toaster far more than fine silver.

Eight years later, the only servingware I have is a glass cake pedestal and a punch bowl. I run with a crowd of ladies who care about presentation. *ahem!* But I don't own enough pieces to put together a nice table setting and it's stopping me from extending dinner invitations.

What serving pieces should I buy? I'm on a budget and need to add one piece at a time. What do you use most often? Or find you simply *must* have? I'd appreciate any suggestions about color and/or material as well (silver platter, white cake pedestal, black table runner, etc.).

No More Paper Plates


Dear Paper Plates,
This is why if an engaged couple asks, and they never do, I tell them to register for basic china or silver serving dishes. You'll find a way to afford a can opener if you really need one, but when can one go and by pricey china? But let's focus on the now, and there's good news. I received lots of serving dishes and 3 full sets of china, service for 12 each, when I was married. And do you know what I use the most? The plainest, white set of dishes with a gold rim. I use it ALL the time, it goes with everything, I can throw it in the dishwasher and I'm not nervous about setting it in front of a child. At the time it cost $15 a box, for service for 4. Sure now I would prefer it with out the gold rim, but it does not stand out.

With that in mind, I want you to run, don't walk, to Target tomorrow morning because have they got a deal for you. A caters box of 12 plain white plates for $15. You're set. But wait! It gets better! Many of the dishes including plain plates are included in their Christmas Clearance! While you're there and if you're feeling $10 richer, buy the salad plates to go with them. You won't regret it. Not just for salad, they're great for desserts or buffets. I can't tell Target's plain white plate from Pottery Barn's or Crate and Barrel's. They all look good but come in at different prices. If for some reason this doesn't work out, start looking at boxed sets. They're usually a good deal even if you don't really need the mugs and saucers that come with them but once a year for hot chocolate. In the future if you want to jazz up your plain plates, you can mix colorful salad plates or napkins in with them.

I don't want you to worry too much about serving dishes. You can still entertain with out them. Just plate the food before you serve it. In a casual setting, eating family style is also acceptable. But do start asking for that kind of thing for Christmas from your mom or Grandma. Trust me, they like buying it for you and it usually works out better than something like clothes. I like a sliver serving plate, a white or clear glass bowl, and maybe a tray or large plate of some sort. They don't need to be expensive or a certain brand. We won't get into linens right now, that's a different upcoming post. If you need glasses, think basic again, and Target has a 12 pack for $10.48.

Lastly, a sad but true story. In my newly married ward, a girl registered for china that was $279 for EACH setting! She scraped together all her friends and gifts and ended up with 3 settings. So sad. Her heart was in the right place, she wanted to entertain nicely but could not invite more than 1 single friend over at a time. Imagine the pressure on that friend! "Can I help you clear the dishes?" "No! NO! Just leave the plate on the table and scoot away!"

In short, buy plain white plates tomorrow at Target and let me know what time dinner is.
Note that in the following photos a white plate is the basis for each setting:


12 comments:

Carrie said...

if you're looking for basic whites or glass in serving dishes - places like ross and marshalls usually have good separates for cheap - but you have to be willing to look.

MMW said...

I am sooooo excited for the LINENS post.

xoxo MMW

Alisha said...

Agreed Carrie, but they often don't have enough of any one set.

I'd like to add that (cheap) China will save you money in the long run over paper plates.

Anonymous said...

As a guest who has sat at dearalisha's beautifully presented dinner table I must say her advice is golden.

lisa said...

Great tip Alisha-- I was just at Target today returning some things and while I was perusing the clearance Christmas stuff, I remembered your little tip about the boxed sets of China. I got 12 complete place settings (dinner plate, salad plate, and stemware) for $22 because it was all %50 off... can't beat that! THANKS!

I too am looking forward to the linens post...

Janalee said...

One of these years, I'll get myself some nice dishes and throw a dinner party now and again. (and maybe even invite you after I'm practiced)

A few years ago I hosted a ward get-to-know-you dinner at our home and borrowed some very 70's daisy-themed dinnerware from the elderly lady down the street. It looked so nice all set up and I was proud of my little hippie efforts.

I think you're a rarer breed and that many new (young) brides don't care or even know all of this an option. You were kind of raised this way.

Anonymous said...

I know what the difference between pottery barn and target china..the pottery barn one are so heavy!!! I try to give mine away..and nobody want it once I told them why...I finally donated them to good will. I have two set! A white set from target and the butterfly study from anthropology.

Lien

Julie said...

All of this knowledge from a small town Arizona girl...I LOVE IT!! I got a gift card to Target for Christmas...can you guess what I'll be looking for? Thanks Alisha.

Ksenia said...

Uh... I looked for the $12-type white sets at Target the day after your post and didn't fin anything under $45. Maybe I just don't know to shop.

Heather said...

Catching up here... I saw those plates at my Target after Christmas, and they were nice, but they had a gold rim. Even though they were so cheap at 50% off, I really want some plain white ones. So I held off and didn't get them.

I do love how they came sold seperately, by dinner plate, salad plate, etc. I always end up getting rid of the teacups that come with sets of dishes. Never use them, and I don't want to waste the space storing something I will never use.

dan said...

No More Paper Plates--

What you should do--and it won't cost a cent--is get new friends! Start hanging out with people who like you for the person you are, and not for the stuff you have! Plus, assuming you're a good cook, the quality of the food vastly outweighs that upon which it is served! I'd rather eat great food off a paper towel, than crap off of fine china! Especially when I'm eating it with people more concerned with conversation and interpersonal relationships than material gain!

Alisha said...

Dan-I almost didn't waste my time with your comment, but I'm feeling generous so here goes:
If I am going to bother to make good food, I'm not going to humiliate the food by slopping it on a paper plate. Similar to how my friends still like me when I stink, but enjoy me more when I am well groomed.

I hate it when sauce soaks threw the classy paper plate and gets in my lap. (But it's Chinet!!!) Have you ever tried to cut a steak on a paper plate?
Enough.