Sunday, March 28, 2010

Dear Goldilocks and Big Hair Believer


I have had several hair questions and I thought I would tackle a couple in one hairy post. This first one, Goldilocks, obviously needs our help. I hope you will leave her your honest comments. The second question about perms ends with humiliating pictures of myself that I seem all to eager to share.

Dear Alisha,

Can we please poll the audience?

I’m careful with my money. I drive an older, plain Jane car. My housewares are from Target. My kids’ closets are full of stitched up hand-me-downs. But there some things I believe are worth EVERY PENNY. I will invest in a good pair of athletic shoes, jeans that fit my oddly shaped body, and a good hair cut and color.

Haven’t we all had a bad haircut and painfully sat out the weeks until we could get our hair RE-cut or RE-colored (and paid for a new REcepit). A talented hair dresser who “gets” my style is pure gold!

Here’s the problem: my husband thinks I pay too much. So I’m looking for some feedback. What do women pay for a good hair cut plus color? Anonymous comments are great. Also, if the price is reduced due to a situation like the hairdresser working out of her home or letting you leave with wet, unstyled hair, will you please note that? Wouldn’t want my husband to get the wrong idea, you know. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Goldilocks

Dear Goldilocks,
Keeping in mind that it is very easy to spend other people's money, I will ask you a few questions before handing down my verdict. Are you going bankrupt? Are you deep in credit card debt? Do you find yourself going with out basics like food or toilet paper because you have spent your money on frivolous purchases?

If you have answered no to all, then let's talk. In life you have to make choices, most of us can not have high
maintenance everything. But if you have difficult hair, if you have frequently found yourself with bad haircuts in the past, then by all means prioritize a salon trip to a good stylist. You wear your hair every day! It is your most noticeable accessory! You can not get away from it when it is bad. If your budget allows, spend a reasonable amount of time and money on a good cut and color.

There are few things I can say this about: I am not high
maintenance. I can drag a haircut out for 6 months (though I prefer every 3) and I color my own roots in the spots that I am graying. I hope none of you are reading this thinking "that's why her hair looks so terrible! She's the Katie Couric of Hillsboro!" Still, I believe in a good hair stylist. The cut really makes all the difference.

I use to silently judge women that went to the salon monthly for cut
and color. How expensive and indulgent! But then I watched the Chris Rock documentary Good Hair and learned how much money and pain African American women have to fork out for good looking hair. Thousands. It was shocking. It made a $140 cut and color look like a small side salad to the main (mane) course.

I say spend the money if you need to. If your are spending a lot of money for "fancy" hair processes like multiple colors that need lightening
and darkening, consider simplifying or going longer between visits if it is becoming a financial or marital problem.

Let us answer Goldilocks question shall we:

How much do you spend on your hair and how often?
What do you have done?


8th Grade. My permed hair was styled just right.

Dear Alisha,
Do you see perms coming back in style? If so, when?? If not, will you still be my friend if I get one?
Sincerely,

Big Hair Believer

This is one of my most painful photos. It's the first day of 6th grade and I have made the classic perm mistake: I did not perm early enough for the curl and stench to relax before I made my school debut. It is also the only summer that I attempted and achieved a tan. Lookin' good.

Dear Big Hair Believer,
I think I will let these old photos of myself do the talking.

I will also confess that twice as an adult I have had perms. I have naturally straight hair and was spending too much time trying to make it look curly. Why not get a perm to speed up the process? Three months before my wedding I permed. My hair turned out so curly it was nuts. I could sort of
straighten it and then re-curl it but it was still a frizzy mess. I went to a play and a women sincerely complimented me on my corn-rolls. After a few weeks I went back and had it chemically straightened out.
The second time was in 2000. Again, I was tired of curling my hair and wanted more body. Having learned my lesson, or so I thought, I had a loose, big roller perm. The results were better (how could it be worse?) but it still did not look like natural curl and it created more work in the morning. Both perms were very damaging to my hair and I ended up cutting it off afterwards. This last time I wrote in my journal "Never
perm your hair again. It never turns out how you wish it would."

When I saw this birthday photo I thought to myself, my hair looks good. Height in the front? Check. Subtle side wings cascading into curls? Check. Tight ringlets all over? Check. 1990? Check.

*Forgive me, I am having font size problems.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to balk at colored hair people too. And then I became a believer when I noticed how drab my own color was.

A lady in our ward used to do my hair, she only charged 75 for color and cut and style. BUT.
She was constantly trying to get my hair lighter and lighter and lighter. More highlights! I hated it, and told her, just very close to my natural color. And she felt like it wasn't showing off her talent. But I don't like cat stripes on humans. (It never looked like that, but I was paranoid, nonetheless.)

I spent 150 in another city and went darker (uh, black!) and basically it turned out horrible.

Lesson learned: stick with your hairdresser that you like. She/he's worth it!

Lower maintenance hair is good. I still like to trim the ends every 6-8 weeks though.

Rebecca said...

I think getting my hair colored is worth every penny and luckily my husband agrees. I started noticing gray hairs in my mid-20s and I knew I would never go "natural" again. I have varied in color but found my husband most prefers lighter blonde highlights and they hide gray a lot better too.

I weave in 2 colors (highlight and lowlight) and the darker color closely matches my natural hair color. Having the lowlight means I can go longer in between appointments since the grow out isn't as noticeable. I usually go every other month now but I used to go every 3 months. I only do a partial (ears up so it is natural color underneath) This saves some money and I like the contrast. I go to a salon and she charges $95 and I also pay 15% tip.

As for perms, I will never do it again. NEVER.

Carrie said...

love the photos.

i pay around $40 for a cut/style plus tip, i usually tip 20%+ since my girl is good, it's really hard to find someone who knows how to cut and style curly hair so i value her skills and i have also learned a lot from her. i get a cut every 6-8 weeks.

i have colored my hair only once in the past few years, just some highlights/lowlights to add depth, i really like it and plan to get it done again next month. it was around $110 for the cut and color, this was only color on the top half of my hair.
i think it is worth it, but i don't think i would get color more than every 3 months or so, for me that would be too much.

i saw 'good hair' as well, made me so much more thankful for my curls that i used to always complain about.

oh, and don't get a perm, it never looks natural. and it is really bad for your hair. and perms look horrible when they are growing out.

Anonymous said...

I agree that it doens't hurt to get a good haircut and color. When budget is tight I will often color my own hair.
About 2 a year I went to a hair place to get it done.
I always get lots of compliments on my hair color from the beauticians even when I do it myself. I haven't fried my hair yet.
I figure about 2 a year is good to spend a bit on it if it is a good cut, I don't need to cut it for a long time sometimes as much as 3 months.

Wish I had scanned some bad hair cuts.

I had some bad perm dues in the earlier years in life. oh, my.

When I lived down south the person who cut my hair didn't add any style at all. That was horrible.

Janalee said...

I spend about $75 every 4-6 mos for color and cut. I remember when I was poor and would color my hair myself in my kitchen. I bet I looked so tacky (because it was a sloppy job).

Remember what a hard time I had deciding whether to get a spiral perm or not when I was junior? You and Heather had to beg me to take the leap 'It will look SOOOO good Jana!" and I liked it well enough.

Later, in 2000, I got a spiral perm for body and something different. Totally regretted it. Does anybody get perms anymore? I will ask my hairdresser all of this tomorrow when I go in.

lisa said...

I've actually been wondering the same thing lately, so I'm not a good one to ask. I probably *remember* to get it cut like every 6 months (gasp!) and I usually color it myself when I'm feeling cheap.

But, when I get it done I think I pay about $40 for cut or $75 for cut & color (and I've gone home with it wet many times, not to be thrifty but because I had to go pick up kids, and they've never charged me less... just a warning).

Having curly long hair lets you get away with going a lot longer in between cuts, however, I'm starting to feel like my locks are looking a bit 90210-ish so I gotta make an appointment soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Oh yeah, and I have a picture with the EXACT haircut/perm combo you have in your piano bench pic. Someday when you're in the circle of trust I'll show it to you.

Cindy said...

As far as color and cut, about 10 on color too every 6-8 weeks (I've been doing it myself since highschool) and cut 15 only every 4 months (I trim my own bangs most of the time). But I use realy good shampoo & conditioners, and about once a year I have to get a wave perm (80) cause I have the straightest hair on earth!

Your favorite Aunt! said...

Lisha, such memories seeing you in those pic's! Your Grandma would have loved the hair dryer!! At least your youth days was in the 80's so now it may be scary to look back most of those pic's was popular for the time. I have the straightest hair on earth even for a straighter style (and on the thinner side)I need help holding any curl or body at all so about once a year or so I get a body wave perm ($80) from a pro of course. When I was young my mom would perm my hair about every 4 months! She was always trying to get the curl tighter (shirley temple) and she always burnt the ends badly (bride of frankenstein) When I started going to a pro I only needed 1 a year or so and went to a larger and larger curl! I think some perms are coming back, more spiral wave if it works for your hair and face shape. I spend more on good conditioning and shampoo than cuts and color, I've been doing my own color since high school, blondes have to be maintained. (I now use professional products) and I've learned to cut my own bangs so I only get it cut by my stylist every 4 months or so. Everyone has something they need to splurge a little on, mine is skin care and good foundation makeup and my nails. Next time husbands aren't happy unless they have shoe's that cost bucco bucks (or what ever thier splurg is) point it out to him how thrifty you are with everything else in your spending!!

Anonymous said...

I used to get my hair colored every 3-4 months and have had almost every color. I tried doing it myself or having friends do it and always ended up with a disaster. I gave in and started going to a salon I was spending up to $150 for cut and color when my hair was long $100 when it was short (I thought it was worth it) As money has gotten tighter, I decided to go back to my natural color which my stylist matched perfectly (it’s been 6 months and roots don't even show!!)
I have super straight hair and since I am not one for taking tons of time to curl, I recently got a perm. However, my stylist is amazing and I told her that I did not like all the curl at the top of my head. She had learned an interesting technique called the pony tail perm. She put my hair in a bunch of small pony tails and did a larger spiral (switching between 2 sizes) throughout. I could not love the result more. I get the curl I want without all the height on top (I have enough of volume naturally) another plus is how easy it has been to get ready in the mornings. I love it!

Alisha said...

Anonymous with the ponytail perm, who are you? I want to see. We are all fascinated.

Angie K. said...

ALish,
I remember when I first met you, you were still recovering from the perm of 2000. I remember thinking, "oh she suffers from frizzy crackly hair like me!" but over the years when I found out how beautiful your hair REALLY is, I realize how much you must have been suffering during that time.

A cut and color from a salon in Wendell, ID named STEEL MAGNOLIAS (corny huh?) is $30. The gal does a great job and even styles it before I leave. Since it is so cheap I usually leave about a 30% tip cuz I like her. She colors my hair every 6-8 weeks, (sometimes just the roots) and has done a beautiful job changing my hair from mousy brown to a natural red, people ask me if its my real color all the time. Cheap and terrific.

Auntie M said...

It's called " going natural is best!." Though your mother would disagree with me. I permed (really permed) my hair once. Let me say that natural curly and natural frizzie hair does not do well permed!!! Never did it again! I don't like all of the dye job mess.(which when I tried the wash out color that your mother gave me, my hair turned literally purple - plum color!)By the way, who is"Your favorite Aunt?" Is that not my position? :)

megan said...

I get my hair cut for about $50 (including tip) every 4-5 months. I have my niece that is in cosmetology school dye my hair. I pay for the dye and toner and a little bit for her too. It usually costs me about $20. I would just dye it myself, except she yells at me for using box color

My hairdresser has a deal; if you send her a new client she gives you $10 off your next appointment. I sent two people to her a while ago so now I have $20 off my next haircut! Maybe your hair dresser has a deal like that too.

I have thought about a perm. I have naturally wavy hair, but it is not quite the sexy beach waves I would like it to be. I decided not to do the perm because of how it messes up your hair, looks unnatural, etc.. I did buy a product, bumble and bumble beach spray that adds a lot of curl to my hair. It is pretty much like salty beach water though so I don't use it often.

Your most favorite Aunt!!! said...

Just a note to Auntie M, I've always held the title "favorite Aunt" did you take Alisha to her first concert? Or sneak her into the dance club in Salt Lake when she was 17? I deserve my title!!

Auntie M said...

Dear "Favorite Aunt" - is this on the Ethington side? If so, I think it's ok to have one "favorite" on each side. I'll take the Packard side position. :)

Mandee said...

Ok, am I the only one that thinks those pictures of Alisha's perms are freaking rad?? We all need to work together to bring perms back in style!

I tried to get a perm 3 different times in the past 7 years and the hairdressers highly advised against it. One even refused to do it after I made the appointment to have it done! I recently found a hairdresser that wants to do a body wave on me. Is that what you got in 2000, Alisha? I want to see body wave and ponytail perm chick pics!

I spend $20-$35 (not including 15-20% tip) about every 6 months on a haircut. For me what makes the biggest difference is knowing exactly what I want and bringing a picture.

There is a girl in my ward that has that Hollywood hair people would pay an arm and a leg for. She goes to Julie at Poshe Salon (in Hillsboro). I called to check out her prices and it's only $20 for a cut and $75 for a cut and color! I will be going to her for my next cut.

The Most Favorite Aunt! said...

A note to Auntie M,
No this "Favorite" Aunt isn't on the Ethington side! If you couldn't figure it out from my earler post about my hair you don't know your sisters very well!! And I had the Packard side title for at least 20 years!!!

Janalee said...

I asked my hair girl today about perms and she said they're trying to nose back into the game. So run everybody RUN!! (to get a perm).

and if you think about it. the clothes that are in style now are exactly what I wore when I was sporting my spiral. the t-sandals, rolled up shorts at the knee. 1992!

Chelsea said...

$100 every 6-8 weeks for color. $55 every 4 months for cut. Perms are out of the question.

And as long as we're on the topic of hair, Alisha, I've always loved your mane and the way your hair and bangs lay on your head. Good texture, good sheen, great length for you, etc. But I'm thinkin' you should be more of a chocolate brown than a black. Tell me your reasoning (which I'm sure is thorough) and maybe I'll get on board.

Alisha said...

Thanks Chelsea,

I have had my hair Dark Brown, (not quite black, I hope it's not that inky), because it is easy. I only have to touch up my roots to hide the grey, really.

Do you remember 2 or 3 years ago when I had my hair stripped and lightened and then re-colored because I wanted a rich brown but not so dark? I didn't love the results, I thought it looked too warm for my complexion. And it required a real hairdresser. But just bringing it up makes me consider it again! I need to be convinced.

You know when you get a perm it also lightens your hair....

Rachel D said...

I got a hair cut today and asked my hairstylist about perms. First, let me backtrack and explain that my sylist's personality is strikingly similar to Alisha's - opinionated, animated, and very good at her chosen craft.

Now that you have a mental picture, imagine Hairstylist Alisha wincing then waving her shears while complaining that I'm the fourth person in the past two weeks who's asked her about perms.

So yes, like Jana's hair girl, mine also said ladies are asking for perms again. However, she said the style is lose tousled curls, definitely not spirals.

Rachel D said...

I guess I should clarify - I think what sparked my stylist's theatrics is her memory of me with a really bad perm, followed by nearly a year of both her and me complaining as it grew out.

I had gone to a less expensive, less trained hair stylist and gotten a terrible perm. That was the last straw for me - I got a recommendation from a friend who is a hairstylist-turned-SAHM, shelled out $$$ to get my hair repaired, and haven't looked back.

Janalee said...

yah, mine said 'beach curl' perms.

Christy Wheeler said...

For a color and a cut I usually pay about $100. The best hair stylist I have ever seen charged $85 doing it out of her home. Then add the tip.

Mandee said...

I DID IT!! I finally did it and it looks so rad that I changed my internet alter ego from "Awesome" to "Radness"! I was so excited that I did my own little tribute to perms on my blog last night. Here is a pic of my radness...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4oR6xBpy9fc/S7V9uaqaziI/AAAAAAAAAsQ/lqOJ_iVBUwg/s1600/permgoodness.jpg

Perm by Michelle at Shear Elegance

Anonymous said...

It seems I have the opposite problem of everyone else. I have curly(wavy) hair that I hate! After trying many many things I resorted to flat ironing it every day. A good cut becomes a must due to the very very damamged state of your hair. Then I had a co-worker who also does hair a few days a week and she introduced me to the Brazillan Blowout. It usually costs around $300 but she gives it to me for $120 including cut. I have LOVED it! Straight but not stick straight and damaged like most processes. It lasts for 3-4 months and gradually wears off. But the time it saves me daily is worth every penny!

Mandee said...

WARNING for anyone who wants to get a Pravara wave perm- Make sure she uses the sponge curls on your whole head! She ran out and had to use the big spiral rods on the back so when I washed my hair the other night those waves washed out :( Had to cut and thin the hair on the bottom to blend it. Still looks rad though... in a funky way. I like funky.

ps. Yes, I'm BHB. Too proud that Alisha answered my question to be totally anonymous :)