Monday, November 22, 2010

Making a List


I hope none of you are sitting around out there thinking "it's not even Thanksgiving yet, I have plenty of time to get ready for Christmas!" Because if so, and you have a family, you are already way behind. I spoke with my Grandma two weeks ago and she asked me how my Christmas shopping was going just so she could tell me that she's already done with hers. Now, because she's old and feeble, she's working on wrapping the presents, a few each day. She buys a present for each of her 7 children, plus their spouses, plus her 30 to 40 grandchildren, plus her great-grandchildren. That sounds exhausting. Not to worry, she's almost done wrapping.

As a helpful reminder for all of us, especially family members who like to procrastinate and then panic and run around like the proverbial chicken the last week of Christmas, frustrating everyone, I've composed a preparations check list. I will tell you ahead of time that I don't want to hear any whining about simplifying. Simplifying means you prepare early so you can relax and enjoy the holiday when it gets here.

Here's your early preparations check list:

Christmas Cards-This is such an important and festive aspect of the holidays. If you think sending out a quick, dingy photo of your kids made into a glossy Christmas card, mass mailed, is all it takes, I will refer you these words of wisdom Christmas Card Sending 101. And may I add that a papery or homemade card wins over a photo printed Costco card any day.

Here's what you should be doing to be ready: have a family photo taken to be used in the card. That involves planning and possibly shopping for what outfits you will all wear, booking a photographer, picking a location, and convincing your children to get dressed up on a day other than Sunday morning. After that it's in God's hands. I will admit that while I have outfits planned and a photographer, I didn't get the photo taken before the terrible (terribly enjoyable) weather moved in! Now I think I will have to have our family photo taken in front of the Christmas tree, which means I will have to have the tree up and decorated first. This makes me nervous as I like to have our family photo done and over with before Thanksgiving. Wish me luck.

These photos are meant to show you how much my family loves getting their picture taken.


If you would like to include a family update letter, start writing it now so that you aren't tempted to skip this step when you are in a hurry. It's true, I don't mind and even kind of like family brag letters. If I don't want to read it, I don't have to. Otherwise I like hearing what people without blogs are up to.

After the photo and letter, consider what card you will send out. If you pre-bought cards on the after-Christmas sale, well then you are all ready to go. If you make your own cards, and I do not, you have your work cut out for you. If you need to go buy cards, buy more than you think you need, do it now, and start addressing immediately. If you are more in the mood after Thanksgiving, fine, brush up your list now and start immediately after Thanksgiving.

Shopping- What can be said? Whether you are "keeping things simple this year", wise, or going a little crazy, bragger, make a list and stick to it. There is no reason to wait to shop. Set a goal to have it all done by the end of the day on Black Monday. Get an early jump on out-of-town relatives. Otherwise you'll question your holiday spirit while waiting in postal lines and paying for express shipping. [This means you Gayle.] You are allowed to put off stocking-stuffers until the last week of Christmas. I like getting caught up in the last minute excitement when there is no real pressure.

I don't know how to take a good photo of a lit tree. This doesn't capture it's glory.

Decorations- I can not put a single decoration up before Thanksgiving. But come Friday the 26th, all will all be pulled out. If you are going to go to the hassle of decorating, do it early enough for you to enjoy it all season.

Still getting a few more miles from these treat box photos:

Friends and Neighbor Gifts- by this I mean Christmas treats dropped off at doors, small homemade gifts, or thoughtful, useful items. This is a great time to plan what you will do. I break down my holiday baking into several sessions because I like that kind of thing. If you do not, if it stresses you out, no one really wants your baked goods that bad anyways. Skip this step, drop off a card, or buy something small and holiday-ish to give out instead. What I am saying it if you like it, plan for it now. Otherwise, simplify. There! I said it!

**A word to the wise: I love homemade gifts at Christmas. They capture the spirit of the holiday. If you would like to make homemade gifts this holiday, they must be finished early. Starting them the last week before Christmas, and driving your family crazy in the process, defeats the purpose of a homemade gift. It can't be said enough: start early or skip it.

My boys kickin back sodas at the kids' table.

Holiday Parties- if you are throwing one, do I even need to say it? Plan now. If it is going to be fun, invite me. If you are attending several parties, what do you plan on wearing?

Do you know what I find frustrating? Everyone wants to have their holiday parties early "because it gets too crazy closer to Christmas". So much so that it is busier for us early in the season. One year all our parties, friends, work, church, were over with by the 8th of December. The weeks before Christmas felt a little anti-climatic. If you are so prepared that you find yourself with extra time on your hands, well then go ahead and throw and little last minute party. You've earned it.

Look for a Service/Giving Opportunity
- it shouldn't be hard this year. If you've been blessed, I know you'll want to take the time to help others. The worse is when Christmas gets here and you realize that while you thought about it all season, you never actually did anything above and beyond for someone else. What's the point?!

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sizable list of things to do. All the preparations, when not rushed and stressed, are half the fun of Christmas. If you dread it, you're missing the point. I am saying this because if you do not enjoy any of the above mentioned, if it just a list of obligations that stress you out, then don't do it. Don't do any of it. Life will go on without all the details. But if it is your thing, don't wait.

Rachel's handiwork.

Keeping in mind that this is my early list, have I missed anything?

Because Rachel is always asking, what are some of your favorite small friend/neighbors gifts that you've been given?


What preparation do you enjoy most?


Bonus Question: Every other year Justin makes a DVD of family videos and photos and sends them out to family and maybe a few close friends. Seeing how we already have a family blog, should he bother this year? Will anyone watch it to make it worth his time?

14 comments:

Rachel W said...

I LOVE my moms mention! Hahaha! Anyways, I disagree on one point: I like having all Christmas parties early so I can (in theory) do holiday baking and just relax and enjoy the season.

megan said...

I love this post! The magic of this season is so beautiful and the generosity of people shines through. I love getting Christmas cards from friends and families. I try to get all my Christmas shopping done on Black Friday. Going out early in the morning to brave the chaos has become a tradition for me and my sisters.

I really enjoyed all of your suggestions and agree with them completely, although I even love getting Costco printed cards from friends. I just want pictures!

My favorite small gifts from friends are always well thought out, not nessecarily expensive. I even love gift cards because I'm so picky and I love to shop. I love to see what other people pick out for me for a gift. It says a lot about what they think I will like

Janalee said...

you know what- I think I started the Simplify trend. Didn't I send out homemade cares like 5 years ago that said Simplify on the front? Long before people were writing it on their walls and spouting it on their craft blogs?

this post was just what I needed. Just riddled with good advice like: If you're not enjoying these traditions, what's the point? and if you're grouchily cranking out the handmade cards and cookies while screaming at your family, again...what's the point? so true.

I got to re-read my list. That list is classic and so funny. "We already know it's a Merry Christmas".

I can't believe your grandma buys for 70+ people. What does she get them? Does she buy like 40 of one sweater? Please tell me.

Anonymous said...

The US Postal Service allows you to customize your stamps, it's another way you can incorporate those spur of the moments photos you've snapped of your kids during the year to make those christmas cards a little more special and personalized.

http://www.usps.com/postagesolutions/photostamps.htm

Lien

Rachel W said...

Grandma E gets all the boys tools and all the girls silverware (1 piece each to match our setting). She puts a lot of time into it! (mostly through eBay)

Rachel D said...

You'll be proud - I did not make my Christmas cards this year. I ordered photo cards (tri-fold, not Costco type). I also decided on a neighbor/teacher gift - not baked - and the only craft supplies involved will be in the packaging (tag).

I'm grateful for any card I receive. If someone thought enough to spend a tiny bit of money and time to mail something my way, that's better than nothing. But I get your point about the Costco card with no personal note or signature. It's not as tacky to those check-the-box thank you notes you see for kids, but I do feel like someone cares more when they try to make the minimal personal connection of a signature. I have one friend who orders photos but writes a line or two on the back - works for me.

Jen said...

Alisha, I only started feeling the dread creep in when you started talking about Friends/Neighbor gifts and Holiday parties.

I love all of your holiday advice!! What I pulled from it is, "As long as your holiday is happy, then go with it. Don't make yourself and everyone else cranky by doing too much." So noted.

Bekah: said...

I love Christmas! And although my heart desires simplicity this time of year, it doesn't mean that these things have to be too complicated. Especially if you start early. I always do best focusing on one thing at a time. Until my Christmas cards are addressed and sent I wont even let myself start thinking of neighbor gifts.

Alisha said...

You make a good point Bekah,

I might think about what I want to do or even order supplies ahead of time, but I agree. Focusing on one thing at a time gives the best results and least amount of stress.

Thanks for the reminder!

Angie K. said...

I love getting Christmas cards of all kinds. Your family's Christmas card always tops my list of favorites every year. But sorry, you'll probably get another Costco christmas card from me (or along that same variety) from me this year, thats an area where I simplify.

Growing up my mother never had her Christmas shopping done on time and was always shopping up to the last minute on Christmas Eve. This means presents weren't wrapped until late on Christmas Eve night. Sadly, this is a habit that is starting to become a tradition for me and I don't like it. Although this post may have stressed me out a bit I think its just what I need to get my holiday butt in gear. I am resolving to get my shopping done earlier in hopes that I will enjoy the Christmas season more.

Please tell Justin to compile a DVD. His work is so amazing and It always inspires me to do better at my own family chronicling. It makes me feel like we get to spend some time with our good friends who we miss so much.

Bekah: said...

Alisha,

I think the DVD is so much better than blog posts. They both have their place, and as we all know I love blogging but I think a DVD is a step above it and something to cherish.

Judy Ethington said...

The mailing of every-year Christmas photos is definitely age related. Who wants/needs pictures every year of the after 50 crowd?

iknowjewels said...

Thanks for the reminders! I think I am still growing up sometimes by measuring how early I have Christmas preparations done.


I have Christmas cards, but must we send a photo? Its just me and Jason, we are terrible photo takers (most recent was last year's family reunion) and I am very pregnant. I would rather just send card and letter!

My opinion, make the DVD because then your family and friends have the photos if they would like to print or put them on the computer (rather than searching through blogs).

Alisha said...

Judy and Julie,

You are both excused from photos. Judy, you could send a picture of your entire family, grandkids and all, or a funny/cute picture with grandkids only, but you don't need to. Julie, what ever you do, don't send a picture of your dog. :)