Saturday, June 26, 2010

Barefoot

Photo by famous Polish photographer Barbara S.


Dear Alisha

It seems like every time I find the PERFECT dress or the PERFECT new outfit, I need new shoes to match. But finding the perfect shoes - at least at a moderately affordable price - seems impossible. Any tips? Where should I look? I also need advice on handbags, so if you have a favorite shopping place for those, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Barefoot

There are three aisles of shoes in my size.

Dear Barefoot,

It's time I let you in on a little secret.

First let me say that I believe in "investing" in quality footwear. A well made shoe will last longer, fit better, be more comfortable, and will just look better. Having a few pairs of really good shoes will serve you better than a mini-van load of cheap, (uncomfortable, shoddy, squeaky) shoes.

Now disregard everything I just said.

Not all styles of shoes are worth investing in (Ex. the bootie sandal trend going on right now). You don't always need them to last the long-haul. Some shoes you just need for one or two outfits. If you're like me and like trendy shoes but are not always willing or able to buy the high end versions, welcome to world of knock-offs.

No other store that I have been to has better prices on knock-offs and discounted middle-end shoes than Ross. Also, no store I frequent is more low-end or ghetto in appearance that Ross. You might say that the Marshall's or T.J. Max in your area is more run down, and it might be, but in my area Ross is the harsh lighting, slightly damaged merchandise, haggard clientele leader. Their prices are better than Marshall's and TJ's too. The Marshall's near me is fairly nice, in short it is for suburban moms with their dignity still in tact.

Ross shoes are so cheap that it's worth it to get a little dirty. The middle end brands like Guess, Ninewest, Steve Madden or Carlos (what does Santana know about shoes?) will sell for around $29.99 to $20.99. But the true knock-off, never-heard-of-brands will sell for $11.99-16.99. A steal if they actually look good.


If you've never been, a few tips:

-Bring a fun friend. All the sad clothing, bad lighting, and grungy floors can really bring you down. A friend helps keep you peppy and cheerful. Also, your sense of judgment might be askew with all the ugliness around you so it's helpful to have someone to bounce purchase ideas off of and remind you of who you are outside of the store.

-Not all shoppers will be like you. Some shoppers will be shuffling along in their flip-flops and sweatpants, yelling at their tired baby, while they try on discount leopard lingerie. (...
then again maybe they are like you.)

-It is helpful if you know what it is you're knocking off. Do a little magazine/Nordstrom research before hand so you know what you hope to find.

-Don't walk in and on first glance see that everything looks blah and unappealing, then walk out. You have to dig a little bit. Find the diamond in the rough.

-Don't try to make it happen if it's just not there. Sometimes I walk in and find so many pairs of shoes I have to really edit and limit myself. ("You can't come home with 6 new pairs of platforms Alisha!") Other times I find nothing. On those occasions, it's best to walk away and not force a purchase.


This was meant to be a random smattering of the shoes they have to offer, but I could make fun of at least half the shoes up here. Isn't that right, clunky white nursing sneaker?

Open toed-booties galore.


Cheerful friend or creepy-lingerie-fiend shopper? I'll let you be the judge.


They have handbags (I never say that word! It's purses for me,) too....

Pleather, as far as the eye can see.

I know much advice is given otherwise, but I'm not opposed to a cheaper "handbag" for the reason that I buy a new purse every spring and fall. Keeps things fresh.


What I bought this trip. I didn't see any shoes I liked. Is it a trashcan or an ice bucket? Come to my next party to find out.

7 comments:

Rebecca R. said...

I just have to ask--did you feel at all creepy walking around Ross taking pictures? did you think of peopleofwalmart.com when taking the shot of the other shopper?

and my 2 cents on the subject is that sometimes I strike absolute gold in the sale aisle at Kohls. Not always, but sometimes I find a real steal on a great pair of shoes.

Rachel W said...

I wear a size ten so I don't have two asiles of shoes in my size... Ergo finds in shoes are limited. But I do find treasures! Bath mats (sometimes the same stuff they sell at bed bath and beyond for a fraction of the price), bags and purses, housewares, kitchen doodads and occasionally clothes (although it takes hours to find decent clothes).

Yes Ross is dirty and I feel the need to shower after I shop their but walmart or less prices for name brand merchandise is worth getting dirty for. I've also found Burlington coat factory is just a little more in price, but less ghetto and more organized.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes when you try on shoes that look silly on the shelf they end up looking really cute. Strappy snake-print 5-inch heels that I tried on as a joke......bought em!

Rebecca said...

Why is it I have the sudden urge to go shoe shopping? It is harder to find a 5 1/2. Yes, I know you have no sympathy for people with small feet. Sometimes I can find killer deals in my size but the selection is VERY limited. I don't love shopping at Ross but whenever I get the chance I will walk into one to look at the shoes and the purses. I can't help myself.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I love shoes. I love shoes, jewerly, and purses. I challenge myself every weekend to at least limit my personal spending to 100 dollars and to see how many great deals i get by hopping around all over town, TJ Max, Ross, Marshalls, Macy's, and Khols. I usually come home with tons of really cute stuff. My husband had to build me a walk in closet for all my stuff. Back to the post. If you want your money to last buy quality. Nordstroms, Barneys are usually the places I end up at when I want the foundation for Spring and Fall wardrobe.

Janalee said...

I like when you said 'don't force the purchase'. just the imagery of it, a lady up at the counter forcing it.

Anonymous said...

OMG...You describe it so well! I was there like 4 years ago, to look for some designer sheets and pillow cases, good lord, it was packed and smells like Walmart. But we're talking about shoes, Dillards, has the best deals on shoes, I say its twice a year end of summer and New YEars Day, additional 50% off on there clearance stuff. I got like 10 pair of shoes, around $400 dollars each for only $50 each. Another place is, Kenneth Cole, they always have great deals on clearance, and that additional 36% off thing.

Lien