Thursday, June 17, 2010

They Say the Neon Lights Are Bright, On Ebay...


I hardly get enough chances to talk about myself, so today I thought I'd treat you to my ebay update.
Remember the vintage dresses I asked your opinions on? (Refresh your memory here.) Here's how it all went down. I did not buy any of the dresses shown that day. I found a good reason not to buy each one of them. Unbeknown to you, I had a couple of other dresses that I just knew I would love, so I didn't even bother to consult you on them. I won some and I lost some, but I'm the lucky owner of the following dresses:


On a whim I bid on our first dress and nobody else did so it was mine for $.99. But then the shipping was $10.99. "That's how they get you." The dress arrived in mint condition. I am a steady size 8 and this dress claimed to be a size 8/10. Upon trying on the dress I quickly realized that must have meant a vintage size 8 because it fit like a size 2/4, much, much too small.

This photo is of an old lady, I mean skinny friend trying it on. It was too big for her and didn't fit her body type. So if you're a busty size 4 and don't mind itchy lace, give me a call. (We both agreed we would shorten the sleeves.)


Before you see the second dress, I want you to imagine what I envisioned: a light, cotton print, rather sweet summer day dress. The dress was shown pinned on a manikin and even Justin thought it looked pretty. It was said to be a modern medium in size....

I thought this photo would look best with a cigarette dangling from my mouth, but I don't even know anyone nearby that I could borrow a cig from. That's how righteous I am.*

Perfect. Just perfect. It turned out to be a housecoat, big zipper down the front and all. I don't know in what era is was ever a medium, it fits like an XL.

So far I hadn't had much success, too small, too big, but #3 would be just right. I just knew it! And so, with high hopes, I waited for my package. And waited. And waited. Would you believe it? The seller had heart failure and lost her house all after I won her auction. But eventually the dress did arrive...

Here I am posing uncomfortably in the air.

It was wearable! I love light blue. This photo doesn't show off the neck detail, a jaunty tied knot. It was a size too big at the time but I wore it anyways. I've since lost a little weight so now it's two sizes too big, said haughtily. It would have been more flattering in my actual size but it's all a guess.


{For this next part, you may want to play the song at the bottom of this post. It was in my head for weeks while dealing with these dresses. It fits not only in title name, but in the melancholy tone too.}

There are so many pretty vintage dresses on ebay, so why is it so hard to buy the right one? I have a vintage dress that I've been wearing since 1997 that I still wear with pride now! Sure it was too big then and I can just wiggle into it now, but the dress works. That got me thinking and I checked out the dress tag and it said "Henry Lee". So I started doing dress searches on vintage Henry Lee dresses and: jackpot. There aren't very many of them, but they are just the styles I am looking for: basic, modest, feminine with a hint of uniform.


Here I am in '97 in said dress. Do you know what's unusual about this picture? (The prominent fork? Justin's snarl? ((no)). I don't have any makeup on! A real rarity at the time.

Here's where things get sad. I lost the bids on two really cute Henry Lee dresses. I don't know how except that someone with auction stealer must have been collecting Henry Lee dresses as well. I am still angry about it. When I saw this next dress come up, I was ready and desperate. I've been looking for a pink dress all spring.

I love this dress. I mean I LOVE It. Sure, the bow is sticking out and needs to be tacked down flat, but that's an easy fix. I think I would look fantastic in it. It is a vintage size 10 with no stretch, which is about a size 4 now. I knew this when I bought it. I was hoping for a miracle, but no, it's too small. I had a smaller friend try it on with generous intentions on my part, but when I saw her in it I wanted to rip it right off her. So the dress with continue to hang in my closet.

Lastly, I bought this non-Henry Lee pink dress and it fits decent. I don't love it like the above dress, but it satisfied my pink craving.
And that's my sad tale. I continue to watch for Henry Lee dresses on ebay. There is a different brand, Henry Lee Petites, that shows up all the time but it's not the same thing.



"Henry Lee", by Nick Cave and PJ Harvey. Warning: Harvey sings "damn" in her first riff of the song. Justin likes to say that I'm the PJ Harvey to his Nick Cave. If he could, he would wear his hair just like Cave too.

*I wrote this post while still wearing my flower housecoat.

14 comments:

N. Tipps said...

This post made me laugh...What I want to know is where did you get those shoes that you're wearing while posing in the air? I love them.

Alisha said...

Natalie, that is soon-to-come post on shopping and shoes. Stay tuned.

Janalee said...

I clicked on the blue dress to look at your shoes and realized you were sitting on the clear table. I really thought you were posing like that in the air. It seemed wierd - but fitting.

So that pink dress is so 1000% to the max, to a tee, all the way home YOU. no wonder you wanted to bitterly rip it off the friend. Do you think you'll lose enough weight to squeeze into some day?

had no idea you could get those deals on ebay. And congrats! you're bringing Ebay back front and center too! I never hear about it anymore, it's always Craigslist Craigslist Craigslist.

I do like that housecoat a lot though. It's have to be more fitted, but it's nice. I bet it'd fit me. I also bet Art would hate it.

I wonder if Henry Lee has anything long enough for my long body... everything is always so short on me. "Having long legs is such a drag!"

and finally, loved all the jokes woven throughout. well done my good and faithful pet. Is your week-streak over now? maybe we all deserve another?

Rebecca said...

I'm glad I didn't have a chance to try on that pink dress. The bitter disappointment would have been too much when it fit me only to have it snatched back to sit in your beautifully organized closet.

I think I would like vintage dresses but it seems like way too much work and hassle for mostly ill-fitting dresses.

I would love to see Justin wear his hair like Nick Cave. Next time we get together you two should come prepared to reenact/lip-sync the "Henry Lee" song.

Rachel W said...

I'm always jealous of people who can wear these types of dresses! They never fit me and my long torso right! One of my girlfriends and I went shopping once and we picked out all kinds of these dresses! She is short and Polynesian. They ALL looked fabulous on her and she couldn't decide which ones to buy. Each of these dresses on my MAYBE came to mid thigh. That was the last time I went shopping with her!

Moral of the story, be grateful if you can wear these dresses. (stepping off my soapbox now)

Judy Ethington said...

Hate the housedress. Love the blue dress. If it's 2 sizes too small for you, do you think it would fit me if I lose another 8-10 lbs?

Angie K. said...

ALish I loved this post. It felt like I was sitting in your bedroom as I watched you crazily try on item after item that you collected during your last mad shopping spree. How I miss that entertainment and learning opportunity. I'm sad now.

I love your blue dress on you, you look just gorgeous. The house coat is hideous. I laugh if I think about you wearing it.

Thanks for the hilarious post.

Janalee said...

the more I look at that housecoat, the more I love it and must have it.

Your favorite Aunt said...

Okay Alisha, you should know that I have to comment on a subject like this. (since I am a dress designer). The person/company who sold the pink housecoat frock should be arrested! Can you return it? I wouldn't order any clothing from anywhere if you can't! The itchy lace sleeve dress be glad it didn't fit! I like the blue dress that is a little big, you should know how to alter it! If not next time you come home to Mesa bring it with you and I'll do my magic!

Who is this Henry Lee dude anyways? I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of the pink dress, the strange lace piece down the front doesn't work for me. Maybe it looks better on. It always amazes me how you can pull off some styles that most could not. Don't you have a good Dillards or Macy's nearby to shop for dress? Or is it just the vintage ones you always want?

Vogue patterns have come out with some of their vintage dress designs! It might be cheeper in the long run to use those sewing class skills and make your own vintage dress exactly the way you want it!

Rebecca Larsen said...

I can't think, this stuff is gold. I'm telling you, you can transform from the worst, ugliest housewife to glamorous magazine-ready. "Just like Lucy".

Your blue dress is amazing, but the whole "tale" is 1000% true. Ebay= love/hate.

The silvery lacey one is so pretty, and yeah you gotta have big sisters to fit that dress.

The blue one is absolutely perfect. Pretty, flattering, good fit. Jealous. Coveting.

Alisha said...

Thanks for the input.

Jana, you can have the flower print housecoat. It will be big in the shoulders on you too. Wear it with White Diamonds and tell Art I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
iknowjewels said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
iknowjewels said...

Alisha, pink housecoat is the reason I don't buy clothes online. Not even If i know my size in the store, just too many variables!

That said, there is a vintage inspired 50s store here in Las vegas that has an online. I referred Katie to it, and I think you would like it too.

www.bettypaigeclothing.com

there is a blue pencil dress that would be fabulous on you!