Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Dear Grandma


This will interest very few of you. These pictures are posted primarily for my Grandma so we can discuss how the party went. I'll call her and remind her how to get to my website, then she'll tell me how beautiful my tables looked and I'll feel pleased with myself. That I actually accomplished something feeling.

Yes, I had to put a table in the family room.

I wish I had taken a picture before the four folding chairs had to come in. They were very handy but not attractive.

This was my favorite thing about the table: the place card holders! Aren't they adorable? I thought of them myself and you can bet I'll use this same idea again. I already have pastel birds for spring.
Yes, there is a See's truffle in the box, but no, I did not get to wrapping the boxes for the red table. I can hear your concern: I used my silver on the dining room table.

The silver and blue table before the many candles were lit.
Notice the chandelier.

Good lighting.



I did wrap the tiny boxes for this table. And when I say "I", I mean Justin. I tied the ribbon on. I have since re-thought the snowflake placecard holders. Too scrap-book-y?

The kids table.

Complete with well behaved kids. There were actually 14 children (!) but these were the oldest. All except Whitman were on their best behavior.

I didn't get a full shot of the buffet table, but here's the Prime Rib in Croute. My talented chef friend, Karren, made all the food besides the (amazing) rolls.
Cheese and vegetable pie. To die for.

Diane is placing her fork in the Duchess potatoes. They looked like rosettes and tasted like heaven. Now that I'm noticing, Diane didn't eat very much.

Here's the full menu:

Cross Rib Roast on Croute with Duxelle
Torta Rustica
Roasted Root Vegetables
Potatoes Duchesse
Cream Spinach
Figgy Pudding
Plum Pudding
Croquembouche
Rolls
Assorted Drinks

The drinks consisted of a homemade ginger soda for starters and sipping chocolate with homemade peppermint marshmallows as an ending, by Justin.


The End.

13 comments:

Bekah: said...

I AM DYING, a feast for my eyes and my stomach. What a wonderful dinner. We would have been invited, right!? Just tell me yes so I can at least pretend we were there ;)

Emily said...

You, Karren, and Justin are quite the team, it was fun to partake of the feast last year. And I'll have you know I now use only cloth napkins when entertaining. I hadn't really thought much about it until you posted about it, I grew up without a cloth napkin in our house. Thanks for classing my up Alisha.

N. Tipps said...

All of it looks so great, Alisha. Of course...

Janalee said...

all nice, very nice. but the real question is - how long did it take you to wash the dishes? Was it 6 hours like your legendary dinner in Flagstaff? But I bet this time there weren't any dirty dishes stacked in the bathtubs and on the beds. Now that was a story!

Janalee said...

ps. So who's the mystery man in a red sweater taking pictures of the blue/silver table?

and as for the menu - "I don't understand a word you just said"

Elizabeth said...

Wow that look so fabulous! How do you find the time to do it all!? I want to be you when I grow up!

Unknown said...

A couple more photos are posted here: http://ourwildelife.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-2010.html

Judy Ethington said...

Very Beautiful! I didn't know you had that many Christmas dinner plates. I loved the ideas for place settings, too. I have red birds with clips, but there's no opening at the beak. Did you hot glue or super glue it in place? Whichever, it looks darling.

Alisha said...

"Judy", (mom) I've bought the plates at after-Christmas clearance. They're a pain to store but we keep them tucked away in the attic.

I used a little circular glue dot to stick the name tags to the underside of the birds beaks. My birds didn't open their mouth either.

Bekah, if you were here in Oregon and family-less, besides your kids of course, you and Michael would have been invited.

It was so hard to decide who to invite. That's a whole topic for another day. How it was, Karren thankfully did most of in the inviting. Whew.

Alisha said...

I hope I mentioned that I didn't make any of the food. None. Karren slaved away and made it all look easy and taste wonderful. I don't think I'll ever have another friend like her.

Rhodes Trip said...

We were family-less (and husband-less due to a funeral in SLC) that night, but I'll forgive you this one (JUST this once though) ;-D

Angie K. said...

So pretty Alish.

iknowjewels said...

yummy yum yum!