Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Blither-Blather


Dear Alisha,


Can we move on to a new post? This vegetarian thing is really boring.


I couldn't agree with you more. You see, it's Christmas time. Tonight instead of answering questions, I'm going to bore you with what I've allowed to keep me busy. Taking my own advice, I started early on my Christmas preparations. Telling you all I've done makes me feel accomplished, so thanks for humoring me.

I've decorated the Christmas tree..

...as you can see by this completely candid photo.

Finished*. I've also put up decorations. Here is my favorite new addition, a glittery village:

The glittery houses didn't look right and weren't safe sitting out on the buffet*.

Justin attached the Command sticky hooks to the wall then drilled holes in the back of the houses to hang them from. When we are all done, the hooks come off with out leaving a mark on the wall and we feel like geniuses. It took a few attempts before we figured out this solution.

*My silver and pale blue decorations do not look as good in picture as they do in person. I can't seem to capture their sparkly, winter-wonder. I am accepting photography tips.

Here's why the houses as well as the rest of my Christmas decorations aren't safe:

It is Whitman's goal to destroy Christmas. He has broken the nativity set twice, shattered a pretty snow globe, broken more ornaments than I can count, picked the feathers off a feather tree, and took a head dive from the piano into the Christmas tree. He shows no signs of stopping.

Davy on the other hand, has loved helping out with Christmas details.

As seen in this unflattering photo of him decorating the kid Christmas tree. If it makes you love him more, he hasn't been feeling his best this winter yet he's so excitable and eager to please.

He, I mean we, I mean I, am very pleased with it.

We accomplished the most tedious and tricky Christmas task of all:

The Family Photo. Attempt No.1. A Christmas tree farm on a freezing, rainy and windy day. The results speak for themselves.

Attempt No. 2: see family decorating the tree photo above. Doesn't look like the opening to The Family Feud?
Attempt No 3:

Sitting on the piano bench on a dark day in a dark room. Whitman loved it. The rest of the boys were good sports. We did get a shot, it's not my most favorite lighting but it works. In case you get a Christmas card from us, I won't spoil the surprise by showing you the photo now. Try to live with the disappointment.

Having done all that and with most of my Christmas shopping finished, I thought I'd get a jump on Christmas baking. Last Monday we had no school and why not take the day to knock out the most time consuming but delicious of Christmas treats, the sugar cookie?


(See recipe at bottom of post)I baked and frosted all day. On my recipe I have written this, "Warning: these take 4 long hours start to finish". True. And that's for a single batch not a double with kids hanging around. Just so you know, I don't let my kids touch any of the cookies or frosting except the few I place on a plate for them to frost and eat themselves. If anyone gives you sugar cookies saying the kids helped make them, beware. The frosting is 25% slobber.

I packed up my non-slobbery cookies in my new favorite boxes of the season,


along with some nutty-spiced-chocolate squares.

Besides tired at the end of the day, I was feeling a little pleased with myself, even smug. See how much I have accomplished so early in the season? Then as I dragged myself up to bed I noticed an email from a friend that went a little like this: "Alisha, where were you tonight? We missed you at Trevor's piano concert, hope everything is okay." AHHH! In my cookie accomplishing frenzy, I completely forgot about my son's piano recital! Not that I missed seeing him perform, I forgot even to bring him there. After all his months of practicing the Star Wars Theme Song and Dashing Through the Snow. I paid for my pride.


I'd like to share a 2011 goal of mine with you. Learn about photography, specifically lighting. I can spot good lighting but don't know how to get my pictures there. Jana says to get a good shot of yourself, "just sit next to a window with the light streaming in", and just look at what I get- an over exposed face in hash light, devoid of facial bones or tone. If you have a photography book you'd like to recommend to me, please do.

Sugar Cookies
1 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
½ tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract or orange oil or lemon oil and zest
*mix until creamed

3 ½ cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt, unless using salted butter, then use ¼
*sift together, then add to the above

Dough can be used immediately, unless you want you shapes to be perfectly cut, in which case you should chill the dough for an hour before cutting out on to parchment paper.

Bake at 325 for approx. 11 to 14 minutes. Hint: if you wait till the edges are browned, you’ve over cooked them.
General frosting how-to:
1 stick butter or 4oz cream cheese
juice of one lemon or 1 to 2 tsp almond extract
milk as needed
2 pounds powered sugar

Blend fat, extract, and milk-starting with 1/4 cup. Add powdered sugar. Add more milk if needed to achieve desired consistency. Add a tasteful amount of food coloring.

I thank you for your time.

5 comments:

Rachel D said...

The marshmallow sheep-goat-porcupine returns! It's a Christmas tradition in itself.

(Don't kill me.)

Janalee said...

hi Delta!

so funny: the he-we-I bit.

and "only you would think of that!" to the houses nailed on the wall bit.

a good White balance might help your pics. "huh?" better exposure and light. I can walk you through it.

Whitman is a terror! head dive into the tree? "you've got yourself a live one". (call me when you find him playing on the roof)

my kids made sugar cookies yesterday. All those hands patting down the dough. I wouldn't eat them, let alone give them out. I'm with you. If I'm passing out cookies, no kid's grubby hands have been involved. that said, I'm not doing cookies this year, the kids can if they want. I'm not feeling the cookie platter feeling.

oh! Yesterday as DAna was making cookies, I told her to use your recipe and she noted where the 2 c. of sugar was crossed out to 1. and she got all disgruntled and screeched, "Why one cup of sugar! Is she just trying to make it healthier??" like she wanted no part of that.

really cute red box!

window light looks best on kids and babies. I think you were too close or it was too harsh/bright. what do I know? don't blame me. "I only work here". You're too picky to ever please. Stand in some shade facing a bright light source. that will light you up naturally. (ex, in a garage on a sunny day, under shade at a park on a sunny day, FACING the light)

there's your comment. grunt.

Alisha said...

Jana, why am I always Delta??

Tell Dana the 2 cups sugar was a typo. If you use two cups the cookies turn out really runny. The real sweetness is in the frosting.

I'll deal with you later Rachel.

Angie K. said...

I want a box of treats.

Whitman delights me. I love him. Do you think he would pass as my baby? He looks like a cross between Xavier and Cole don't you think? But I could not handle another 2 year old over here, no matter how cute.

Rebecca Larsen said...

Sorry, I was wondering what the marshmallow thing was, too! Now that I know, I like it, though! Clever you.

Your cookies are divine.

You know that Jana and I are thrilled beyond measure that NOW you get why the rest of us can't be fabulous all the time...We've had several "Whitmans" in a row.

Did you paint/glitter your houses? I saw some that I wanted to try but I thought twice because I knew I could never glitter in peace (you know, without the Whitman effect happening). Perfect colors.

Do tell where you got your cute brown dress?