Saturday, December 18, 2010

Gifted








I'm in love and I don't care who knows it.
That's how I feel about the interior of these latest treat boxes. And just like true love, I can't even play it cool and pretend to be neutral. Remember how I said not two weeks ago that the red and white candy cane striped boxes were my favorite?

Well, they were superficial- looked good on the outside, nothing special on the inside.
My new love looks decent enough on the outside:



Yet I'll admit maybe the red and white are more eye catching initially, but it's what is inside that counts.But what is inside the pretty boxes, you ask? Clockwise from the top: Mexican hot chocolate cookies, peppermint brownies, orange shortbread snowflakes, and cranberry cashew coconut bars.

What? This doesn't fascinate you? A quick and slightly dull Q and A then.

Dear Alisha,

Am I lazy to be giving kids all gift cards for XMAS, especially when they are all ages 9 and below? Some suggest I buy something small and add a gift card. Really, anything small is at least $3 to $5. I'm imagining when they get the gift card, they probably be happier if I combine that few dollar to the gift card instead. And if your answer is yes, what do you suggest be great gifts for boys and girls ages 9 below.

Sincerely,

Many Kids to Shop For

Dear --what do I call you? Lazy but Kind Shopper?

I love gift cards. I love them for myself. To me they're better than cash because cash I might be expected to do something practical with. But this isn't about me. My own children started liking gift cards at around age 8. They, or he, since I only have one child that age, grasped the concept and looked forward to picking out their own toy.

Recently my 5 year old was given gift cards for his birthday and I was surprised at how apathetic he seemed towards them. I tried to make it interesting for him while at Target picking out a gift. As a mother, I love it when my kids get gift cards rather than large, noisy gifts that will be a chore to find a place for.

Here's my advice. Don't give a gift card to anyone under 5. Age 8 and up, it is a very good idea. Between 5 and 8 is a grey zone. All kids like the little go-along gift. If you are so inclined, just buy something silly. I hate it when people give my kids candy. Enough already. Other options if you don't want to send an actual gift, contact the parent ahead of time, ask them if it would be okay if you sent them cash or a gift card so they could pick out a toy their child would really like. As a parent, I wouldn't mind that at all as long as it wasn't a last minute request.

As there are a few other mothers who read this blog, maybe they will throw out a few other ideas or share their opinion. Hopefully with out fights or accusations, ladies.

I fear this discussion did not reach you in time.


7 comments:

Angie K. said...

Alisha where are you finding all of these pretty treat boxes? Please share.

Christy Wheeler said...

Seriously, I want to know where you got those boxes too. That decorette shop in Tigard?

And I would agree 8 and up would understand what a gift card is. If the child is really young (like under 2) then I still think a gift card would be good, especially, like you mentioned, if sent early so the parent can get something.
Also if you want to go the gift card route, I would suggest getting one that is fun, not just to a toy store. Maybe to a ceramic cafe, or the children's museum, OMSI, or even ice cream. Just a thought. All I know is my son is not even one and I am not looking forward to all the toys he will be getting and accumulating over the next few years, yikes.

Unknown said...

Viv is five and could care less about gift cards.I mean really would not even like to look at them.

My suggestions for kids if you don't know what to get is books... Ask what general topic the child is interested in then find a corresponding book. True, the initial reaction isn't as excited as an annoying loud toy or candy that will be confiscated at the first possible moment... but the likelihood that the child will actually treasure, read, and then reread the book is high. Plus they ship well.

Alisha said...

"Nicole", I was going to add the same comment myself!! Books. Every parent enjoys the gift of books.

Crystal Pistol said...

my children relish gift cards. it gives them a sense of control in a world of chaos.

They have the potential to wander aimlessly through target with precious card in hand for hours. I say YES! to gift cards (within reason.)

Anonymous said...

May I add my endorsement of books as gifts for children? Truly one of my favorite gifts for my children to receive. Just a suggestion, though, when giving books to children, try to find something that is at the next level for them, meaning a bit of a stretch subject or reading level wise. Then the gift will have a more enduring value.

By the way, your cookies were delicious, Alisha, and very pretty! Thank you so much.

-Sally

iknowjewels said...

I had very similar interiors in the boxes I gave away. They were the Martha Stewart holiday line for Michaels. I loved that my treats looks as pretty in the boxes as they tasted.